1957 best place to unobtrusively place stereo speakers

twstnshout

twstnshout

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
1957 having my town and country updated to stereo. I don’t see any kick panel speakers available.
Any suggestions for least obtrusive placement?

There is a lot of room under the dashboard. I had my speakers there in my’37 Ford. Not the best placement, but no cutting required.

1957 having my town and country updated to stereo. I don’t see any kick panel speakers available.
I tried and was disappointed with the performance of the rear panel (behind the soft top) type of speakers. The sound was muffled by the soft top and the drop curtain. I have been satisfied with the performance of two 3 1/2 inch speakers that I placed in the quarter panel area. It requires cutting holes in the quarter panel cardboards but it is out of sight unless you really look.Photo 2.jpegPhoto 4.jpeg

I had a couple old 4" box-bookshelf speakers that I used. They are mounted to the lip of the opening between the trunk and pass compartment. Not the greatest setup but easy to do and slamming the trunk doesn't hurt them. They hide behind the drop curtain and the stowed soft top.

cube speakers mounted behind drop curtin.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll have to take the inner door panel off and find a hole where they can fit and cut and fit whatever size speakers u can. To be able to figure it out pretty quickly. I'm sure a reputable installer will help you.
At least that's what I'm going to do.

They make a dual cone speaker that works with a stereo, replaces the stock speaker.

I used that on mine in addition to the two rear speakers. If you are pulling the radio anyway it's very easy to replace the speaker.

Back