1957 Backup Light passenger side not working | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1957 Backup Light passenger side not working

TbirdFan76
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
I have one non-working backup light (right hand/passenger side) on 57 tbird.

1) Passenger side wiring in the trunk is plugged in and ground wire is attached.
2) Swapped the passenger side bulb with the working one from the driver side.
3) The driver side works with bulb from passenger side but passenger side still has no light.

Next step I want to do is check/swap the fuse, but I don't know where it is located. Does each backup light have a fuse or is there a single fuse for both?

Anyone out there that can help?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I don't believe there is seperate fuse for reverse lights. I'ld start with a test light and/or meter and check for continuity at the socket in question. My guess would be a shorted socket.

I don't believe there is seperate fuse for reverse lights. I'ld start with a test light and/or meter and check for continuity at the socket in question. My guess would be a shorted socket.
If the light on one side is working then your problem is with the wiring in the trunk. It could be a bad ground on the side that isn't lighting up so check that ground from the socket to the sheet metal. If it's not the ground.... There is one power wire that comes from the front of the car back to the trunk to power the backup lights. Somewhere that wire has a junction (in the trunk) where it splits so it can go from one side of the trunk to the other. The junction is mostly likely not too far from the tail lights themselves. Trace one of the "hot" wires (the one from the center of the bulb socket) back and you should find the junction. From the junction you can follow the "hot" to the other bulb socket.

Since the rear turn signals, tail & stop lamps share the same ground, I don't believe that the problem is a defective ground. Look at view G from the Electrical Equipment Installation Manual and you will see where the connection is at the left tail lamp.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
Backup Light Wiring.JPG

I'll check the wiring and report what I find. If I get it working I'll share what I did to fix it.

I had to recrimp the wires at the socket on mine.

Use an Ohm meter to check resistance from the edge of the socket to bare metal of the body to check the ground and from the inside center of the socket where the bulb has the solder contact to the end of the wire where it connects to the trunk harness. You should get around 1.7 Ohms on either. If you get a high Ohm reading then it will limit current to the bulb and even with 12V at the trunk harness it will not light.

Both backup sockets in my car have a ground wire from the socket that has to be grounded to the car. They are attached to one of the screws that holds the light assembly in place. There is no common ground wire that I can see. When all is installed you can't see the socket, it's up inside the light. It's possible the ground wire could detach from the socket up inside.

Back