1957 adjustment specs for intake/exhaust valves

Zoopie

Zoopie

Last seen
I need the valve adjustment specs for both intake and exhaust. Found a local mechanic who is doing the valve adjustment and does not have that info. Thanks in advance!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I need the valve adjustment specs for both intake and exhaust. Found a local mechanic who is doing the valve adjustment and does not have that info. Thanks in advance!
19 thousands both int and ex.

Do you have a shop manual? 19 hot for both

Attached is the procedure for adjusting the valves taken from the September/October 2010 Early Bird magazine.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
valves-adjusting-1.jpgvalves-adjusting-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a P&G Valve Gapper. It is fast and accurate. I just start at one cylinder and move on to the next, no time consuming bumping to get the next valve in the sequence when using a feeler gauge.

My 1957 Ford and Thunderbird Shop Manual has the valve adjustment pages out of order. In my manual, the page order is I14-I17-I18-I15-I16-I19-I20. It makes setting the valves a bit confusing.

I used the 'Nuckle' method and worked well for me. Eliminates any wear issues.View attachment 28168
I had the pleasure of meeting the late Walt Nuckels at some conventions. A very smart and practical guy. I use his cold setting number with my P&G valve Gapper. I find the P&G is quick and acccurate. I have quite a few of them that I have come across through the years. I have sold some. to friends and at convention swap meets. I really only need one or two instead of 20+, but before I knew it I had boxes full.

Back