1957 312 lower bell housing cover paint color

twstnshout

twstnshout

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Is the 312 lower bell housing cover painted ford red or black or unpainted?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

In the pictures below you can see the color of my engine and Ford-o-Matic transmission. The finish of the transmission and bell housing was natural cast. This applies to the bell housings of the water-cooled transmissions as well as the earlier air-cooled transmission. The flywheel (flex plate) covers were painted black.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird BlueEngine And Transmission.JPGUnderside Picturd.JPG

I have a 3spd overdrive transmission which has a much larger bottom piece on the bell housing. My feeling is it is painted black and the transmission unpainted

The standard shift bell housing was in place when the engine was painted at the factory. The attaching hardware, the clutch lever and boot also received the red/orange paint

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Untitled - 1.jpgUntitled - 2.jpg

Ok thanks the lower stamped piece is also red? Or is it black?

There is nothing in the judging criteria that calls out the color for the inspection cover for either the manual or the automatic transmission. Since it does say "including the attaching hardware" for the manual transmission, I would go with the engine color.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Back