1957 3 speed Transmission not working

U
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
‘57
The overdrive in my ‘57 three speed is not working (it is stuck in free wheel). Hard question, I know, but is it likely fixable, or should I just buy a rebuilt tranny (expensive!). Thanks.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The overdrive in my ‘57 three speed is not working (it is stuck in free wheel). Hard question, I know, but is it likely fixable, or should I just buy a rebuilt tranny (expensive!). Thanks.
My 55 had an overdrive tranny in it when I purchased it last spring, but it was not working/not hooked up properly. A friend of mine, a retired mechanic, fixed it. Most of the problems in those trannys from what I have read are electrical, not mechanical. Check all the electrical connections, including checking the one fuse in the system. If yours worked previously, and if you made sure it was full of oil, there is a good chance that it is a simple electrical connection problem and not a complex mechanical malfunction. Good luck. Not sure if a regular Ford dealership might have an old mechanic or someone on hand that is knowlegable in those areas. Triker Terry

My 55 had an overdrive tranny in it when I purchased it last spring, but it was not working/not hooked up properly. A friend of mine, a retired mechanic, fixed it. Most of the problems in those trannys from what I have read are electrical, not mechanical. Check all the electrical connections, including checking the one fuse in the system. If yours worked previously, and if you made sure it was full of oil, there is a good chance that it is a simple electrical connection problem and not a complex mechanical malfunction. Good luck. Not sure if a regular Ford dealership might have an old mechanic or someone on hand that is knowlegable in those areas. Triker Terry
Thanks for your quick, encouraging response. The OD was not working when I bought the car so I don’t know when it stopped. I’ll check the electricals.

Please follow the posting instructions in the future.
"Tranny Question" could mean anything. Are you asking about transvestites? What year car?

Tranny Question updated to
1957 3 speed Transmission not working
modelyear.jpg

Thanks, Terry—encouraging!

Back