1956 Upper & Lower Control Arm Bushings Installation

Pmaboy
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Anyone remove your lower control arm on a 56? Did you use a spring compressor to remove springs for lower arm? If so, please, which spring compressor did you use?
I would like To Keep My Head. Also, Is there a good kit for bushing removal and replacement press that you can recommend?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I have done this job. I used an internal spring compressor. remove the shock absorbers then insert the compressor and compress the springs. i then use a ball joint removal tool to separate the spindle from the control arms. As for the bushings, I have never had any luck pressing them in with anything other than a control arm bushing installation tool. These are available from many tool suppliers.

Sorry, here is a photo of the compressor tool. 1702838346300.png

I installed all new upper and lower control arm bushings in my 1955 a couple months back. I did not use a spring compressor to remove my springs. I put the car on stands and used a floor jack under the ball joint and slowly lowered the arm. It worked fine. By the time the arm is all the way down, there was very little tension left in the spring. I installed Aerostar front coils so there was no need to compress them for installation due to the shorter free length.

This is the tool I used to remove and replace the bushings. It worked pretty well except for a couple of them where the tool doesn’t quite fit. I had to get creative and have patience on those. I think I just used my big vice and large socket.

811F+3xJSLL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Thank you!
My coils seem fine. I will just clean them up and paint them. I just know I need to remove them to replace the lower bushings. Just got that same exact bushing kit today and it seems that it will work fine. As a backup I ordered this ball joint kit. I have heard it helps.
Thanks Again!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231217-195944_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20231217-195944_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    571.9 KB · Views: 3
You're welcome. I only went with new springs because I wanted to lower it a bit.
I have a ball joint kit as well but I found it wasn't any help for me. A shop press would have perfect for this task but I'm getting tired of buying tools that take up space and only get used once or twice.

Please help! Now I am a bit stuck. How in the heck do you get the nut on with the lock washer. Why did they not make the shaft 1/4" longer. Geesh!

Attachments

• 20231221_174218.jpg
    20231221_174218.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
Please help! Now I am a bit stuck. How in the heck do you get the nut on with the lock washer. Why did they not make the shaft 1/4" longer. Geesh!
20231221_174218.jpg

Who did you buy those bushings from? They do not look correct to me.

OK, the shaft that the bushings are on, needs to be put into the control arm then the bushings are pressed into the arm until the bushing center metal tube presses into the inside cup washer. this will depress the rubber in the inside and give you the room you need.

While replacing the control arm bushings it’s best to have a helper hold the arms while you press in the bushings, especially the lowers because of the size of them.

Looking at the new bushings, the four that match are for the lower control arms, the two long bushings are for the short side of the upper control arms, while the two short bushing are for the long side of the upper control arms. Looking at the bushings you will notice on the metal shoulder there are little bump outs, or stops that go around the shoulder to stop the bushings from being pressed in too far. The upper control arm bushings press from the outside to the inside, while the lower control arm bushings press from the inside to the outside. While pressing the bushings in, go slow and do not press past the stops.

Use a sleeve that fits perfectly over the rubber bushing and rests on the flange of the bushing, when pressing the bushings into the control arms. This allows you to press them in without bending the flange. Also, clean off any paint that is in the holes of the control arms so the bushings will press in more easily. Use a little WD-40 to help lubricate metal prior to pressing the bushing in the control arm.

The when pressing the bushings in the upper control arms, it’s important that the long end of the control arm shaft faces towards the rear of the car and the pusher sleeve fits tightly over the rubber of the bushing so you don’t push the bushing in crooked. Start by pressing the long bushing into the short side of the upper control arm until it contacts the stops. Next, install the control arm shaft with the large cup washer into the control arm. Then press the short bushing into the long side of the control arm. A sleeve that has an opening to allow removal from the shaft must be used to back up the control arm when you are pressing in the bushing.

When you install the control arms on the frame do not tighten the control arm shaft nuts on the upper control arms or the nuts and bolts on the lower control arms until you have the engine and transmission mounted on the frame, otherwise you will damage the bushings and the rubber bump stops.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

IMG_2585.jpg

IMG_2587.JPG

IMG_2588.JPG

IMG_2589.JPG

IMG_2590.JPG

IMG_2591.JPG

Back