1956 temperature gauge stuck on High

B
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I’m a new owner of a 1957. The temperature gauge reads H when the car is off. When I start up it stays at H but slowly as the car warms up moves to the middle toward C and H. I take it this is not normal. Any suggestions?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

It's not normal. Mine was the opposite, it was stuck at Low.

Replaced the sender in engine block (maybe $10?). Now it's fine.

PS. Welcome to the club

Assuming that the 1957 gauge works the same as a 1956, then it is normal for the gauge to read hot with the key in the off position. However, it should drop to cold when the key is turned to the run position if the engine is cold. You can check this by grounding the wire that goes to the sending unit on the block and turning the key to the run position. The gauge should read cold (all the way to the left). If it doesn't it may be the gauge itself. You can check it by putting 3 volts across the back of the gauge. It should read about middle of the heat range. The sending unit is easy to replace and costs about $50. The gauge is harder to replace and costs about $80.

Back