1956 Teapot Replacement

G

George Clayton

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
After multiple rebuilds my original teapot has decided to retire.
I need input on what to replace it with. Size, adapters, vacuum lines, etc. I would like to keep it simple as possible. The engine is the 312. Not looking to max performance. Just find a suitable replacement and all that it needs to adapt to this car.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

This will work.

This will work.
That carburetor will not work on your 56 intake manifold without an adapter. 55-56 intake manifolds have a small base. 57-up carburetors, and 57 manifold are wide-base. You will have to modify/replace the fuel line between the fuel pump and carburetor as well to clear the air cleaner. If you use any kind of carburetor spacer, including the road-draft tube PCV conversion, or have an aftermarket air cleaner that does not have a drop base, you might have hood-clearance issues with the adapter. Additionally, your 56 "Loadomatic" distributor will not be compatible with the aforementioned carburetor, or any 57-up carburetor. Finally, the 1848 carburetor is not cheap.

The 1848-1/w heat-riser choke has been replaced by 1848-2, which has an electric choke.

Would like to replace the tea pot with a modern carb, Have installed an electric pump. Not looking to break the bank with an EFI.

I've had 4160's & Edelbrock's of various years ...almost all fell out of tune at some point.

I changed my carb over to the Street Demon 625 CFM and it's the BEST carb I've ever installed.
Get the version with the phenolic housing and the cheap gas nowadays doesn't boil and cause hard hot starts.
The primaries are half the size are the originals and the secondaries are huge.
I have seen an increase in gas mileage as well.

If you're all about driving.......up grade you will be impressed.

I forgot to add ...my bird is a 390 FE with a recent valve job and slightly taller tires .....at 55 mph my vacuum is low and the secondaries don't sound like they are open...when I get on it and drop a gear the womp is nothing like the original....it's the best. If you remember the early QJet sound you'll know what I mean.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back