1956 Tbird alternator problem?

The Chevrolet one wire alternators are a good choice. The t bird parts suppliers such as Hills or casco can supply you with any extra brackets and spacers you may need, or you can fab your own.

When I purchased my 56 the previous owner had a weak alternator installed, It wasn't charging up the battery. I replaced it with a Delco-Remy alternator I never had a problem, If you have air condition ,electric seats and electric windows you might need a more powerful alternator . Check out ,Go to web site:https://www.delcoremy.com/alternators
Alternator.jpg

For something new, you should start your own post, not piggy back on another
Wow! I for one haven't seen this thread that apparently started last week. But we all appreciate your candor and your help.

If you go back to a mechanical pump, I highly recommend you have your mechanic rebuild your old mechanical pump rather than buy a new one. Recently, the replacement pumps that are on the market are from China nad are total junk. I had one that lasted 6 months, before pulling it out and rebuilding my old AC pump. You can get a kit from the Antique Auto Parts Cellar / then-now-auto.com. You can reach them by phone at 781-335-1925. Their kits are high quality and American made and their support is great. They used to have a website, but they told me that they kept having problems with it, so they took it down.

Good luck!
I agree wholeheartedly in regards to Rebuilding vs what’s being imported from CHINA! My Carb was leaking from the main pump & I wanted to find a replacement & searched for a few weeks, Finally I found a OEM Rebuild kit, Purchased it from Ebay, After getting it, I Sat in my living room & taught my then 11 year old grandson, I told him that I was his age when my best friends Dad taught me in 1975, I told him that Mr. Simmons said he charge $50 + they have to buy the kit to rebuild them & the Large Carburetor Shop Charges $150, He said the only difference in him & Them is, They paint that carb He said if you want him to paint it Buy the paint also & He’ll charge $150, The next day when my Grandson saw that Carb & It was also painted, I told him the kit was $28.00 & The Paint costed $12.00 & It was still much better than an import b/c It’s the Original Carb!

Back