1956 T Bird re-wire thread. New harness.

Thunderbird Year
I have wiring diagram and wiring manual, but they do not help with multiple wires of the same color. You have multiple green and red wires in the forward harness that come out of the firewall. With multiple wires of the same color, you can only strip the tape and follow them from firewall to final destination. Sorry, but I have just been there.

Thunderbird Year
From the factory, if the wires were the same color but served another function usually it had a tracer color on it.. Will that help
Couldn’t see any tracer color. The wiring diagrams indicate that tracer colors exist, but maybe after 65 years they become invisible. I looked carefully, but couldn’t see anything but 4 green wires and 4 red. Got it done now, so things are good.

Thunderbird Year
I have wiring diagram and wiring manual, but they do not help with multiple wires of the same color. You have multiple green and red wires in the forward harness that come out of the firewall. With multiple wires of the same color, you can only strip the tape and follow them from firewall to final destination. Sorry, but I have just been there.
There is an easier way. Before installing the harness, just ring the wires with a multimeter and put your own labels on each end.

Thunderbird Year
Would you care to elaborate on what this means for us old folks?
It's just checking continuity on wires and finding out which wires on end A match up with wires on end B.

Set the multimeter to continuity test, pick a wire on end A and put a lead on it, then go through the wires on end B and put the lead on each one in turn until the meter beeps. Voilà! That's both ends of one wire...label them, and move to the next one. All done on a bench, before installation.

Easy peasy.

Thunderbird Year
Oh and don't forget to take tons of pictures of your progress. You will have much more reference when putting it back together than wiring diagrams and shop manuals as they don't show how the wires were clipped to the fenders and routed, that way you can keep as close to original without guessing.

56 TBird

Thunderbird Year
Hey guys, I'm gonna add some pics however I just re-wired the whole car with a new wiring harness. What a pain in the rear. If anyone has any questions on the process. message me. Having multiple diagrams and patience helps a ton!
Hello, I have a 1956 Thunderbird that I am starting to rewire... I need a wiring diagram if you have one ? Have questions about certain wires like: where does the 2 big yellow wires with a big eyelet plug itself ?
Thanks

doug7740

Thunderbird Year
The two large yellow wires with the large eyelet connects to the battery side of the starter relay.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
Untitled.jpg

Wiring Diagram 1.jpg

Wiring Diagram 2.jpg

Wiring Diagram 3.jpg

56 TBird

Thunderbird Year
Hello,
Which harnesses go through which of the 2 holes in the firewall ? What part of the dash wiring harness goes to the engine bay ? Do u know what these 4 wires plug to ? Thanks
The two large yellow wires with the large eyelet connects to the battery side of the starter relay.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
View attachment 22869

View attachment 22870

View attachment 22871

View attachment 22872
Thanks a lot
have a few more questions if you dont mind... The numbers refer to the pictures.
1-Which wires go through each of the 2 holes in the firewall ?
2-What do these wires attach to ? You said Solenoid but others do nit reach brake switch...?
3-These must go in the engine compartment but where ?
4-These are in the loom that goes from front junction box to taillights. Do u know where they plug ?

Tbird-firewall.jpgTbird-2Y.jpgTbird-enginecomp.jpgTbird-BB.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

56 TBird

Thunderbird Year
Hello, in the process of rewiring but have a set of male connectors on the loom that goes from the taillights to the headlight junction box that I am not sur where to connect them. They seem to be around the floor headlight switch ?
Thanks for ur help

Attachments

• Tbird-BB.jpg
    Tbird-BB.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 4
Thunderbird Year
Hello, in the process of rewiring but have a set of male connectors on the loom that goes from the taillights to the headlight junction box that I am not sur where to connect them. They seem to be around the floor headlight switch ?
Thanks for ur he

What color are the wires (including any tracer). I can't remember any wires that come from the back to go to anywhere except the light switch (taillights) ,the steering column (signal light wires) and the gas gauge. The license plate light should be part of the taillight wires.

56 TBird

Thunderbird Year
What color are the wires (including any tracer). I can't remember any wires that come from the back to go to anywhere except the light switch (taillights) ,the steering column (signal light wires) and the gas gauge. The license plate light should be part of the taillight wires.
They seem to be for the steering column, thanks

56 TBird

Thunderbird Year
Hello,
Which harnesses go through which of the 2 holes in the firewall ? What part of the dash wiring harness goes to the engine bay ? Do u know what these 4 wires plug to ? Thanks

Have a few more questions if you dont mind... The numbers refer to the pictures.
1-Which wires go through each of the 2 holes in the firewall ?
2-What do these wires attach to ? You said Solenoid but others do nit reach brake switch...?
3-These must go in the engine compartment but where ?
4-These are in the loom that goes from front junction box to taillights. Do u know where they plug ?

View attachment 22874View attachment 22881View attachment 22882View attachment 22883