1956 Steering Column Shaft repair | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1956 Steering Column Shaft repair

• Thread starter Thread starter knuckle47
  • Start date Start date
knuckle47

knuckle47

Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Between the steering wheel and the telescoping adjusting sleeve is a press fit hub assembly and mine has separated. I know the process for the repair of the pressed hub but I have had to disassemble the directional signal assembly and a few other things popped up.

1.) I have exposed the shaft bearing and have it out of the hub but I cannot budge it from the shaft. Is this a press fit on the shaft and will I need a long reach puller the get it off
2.) I am replacing it the directional signal switch…the old switch has 3 GREEN wires and a Red, White and Blue are all of the Green wires the same? I am trying to test these
with an ohm meter to see if they are.
3.) I pulled up on the steering shaft and it seems like the shaft has come out of the steering box in the engine compartment?? Is there no other component holding the steering
shaft down below. THAT was a surprise. ( never did anything with cars before. Motorcycles don’t have these parts). I have pushed it back in and it seems like it got lucky and
decided to stop working on this until I find some real answers.

Anyone have some ideas on these? Much appreciated. This all started as a plan to change the steering wheel…geez. Thank goodness for those iPhone pictures

Attachments

• 8959EB52-2734-43EA-85D4-2B66A6929222.jpeg
    8959EB52-2734-43EA-85D4-2B66A6929222.jpeg
    275.2 KB · Views: 7
  • F9F4D8F8-7AE9-483D-AEF5-A28E17EDAAE5.jpeg
    F9F4D8F8-7AE9-483D-AEF5-A28E17EDAAE5.jpeg
    291.8 KB · Views: 6

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Just like household plumbing. Once you discover a problem it starts tracing back. It looks like more discoveries are in the works. It sounds like you have the temperament and skills to pull it off. When done you can enjoy the open air on four wheels instead of two. Safer too.

1.) I have exposed the shaft bearing and have it out of the hub but I cannot budge it from the shaft. Is this a press fit on the shaft and will I need a long reach puller the get it off?

Yes, the bearing is pressed onto the shaft and then the shaft and bearing are installed into the steering column. If the telescoping adjusting sleeve has separated from the hub assembly, why are you replacing the shaft bearing? They rarely go bad.

2.) I am replacing it the directional signal switch…the old switch has 3 GREEN wires and a Red, White and Blue are all of the Green wires the same?

No, you should have a green wire, a green/orange wire and a green/white wire.

(See the Turn Signal Diagram below)

3.) I pulled up on the steering shaft and it seems like the shaft has come out of the steering box in the engine compartment. Is there no other component holding the steering shaft down below?

Once the shaft and keyed system are lined up, a few taps with a hammer on a piece of wood to protect the horn wire is all that is required to reinstall the shaft and bearing in the steering column.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Turn Signal Diagram.jpg

Surprised me on the bearing too… it has a “flat spot” when I turn it, it is very noticeable. I know I did not notice it with the steering wheel on but being at this level of disassembly…..a lesser evil.
Of course , someone decided to use all green wire at some point when they may have cut the wire some where in time. Did not notice it at the time under the dash. As for the steering shaft pulling straight out, you did say tap it back in. It just surprised me that there would not be some type of secure attachment down below. However, since it is normal… I feel a whole lot better, whew!

So the purpose of the clamp on the steering box at the frame and the chrome tube is only a “seal”?
Thanks Doug

Just like household plumbing. Once you discover a problem it starts tracing back. It looks like more discoveries are in the works. It sounds like you have the temperament and skills to pull it off. When done you can enjoy the open air on four wheels instead of two. Safer too.
You know you are 101% right on both counts. Once I saw my first cut off wire hanging in the engine compartment, I knew it was too late for me. You know that ain’t the only one. That drives me to correct all of the “modifications”. Worse for me since I have no experience with cars or their inadequate service manuals. The Ford manual is the same size as the 1942 Harley shop guide but the car has 20 times more systems onboard.

I stopped riding 10 yrs ago after seeing the latest and greatest trends with inattentive drivers. It concerns me that someone will plow into my t-bird while just waiting for a light to change. I look around me everywhere when stopped and all I see is people checking their phones and texting.

@55blacktie excellent suggestion, waiting for it … I have seen a few photos from it here and there and it is rather detailed. Here’s a quick question….

Are the terminal blocks mounted to various locations in the car or are they just hanging in places simply by their wire connections in free space? of course, mine are

@doug7740 showed me the pinning procedure which is what I was hoping to finish today but I had a few problems and just stopped working on it. Hopefully the bearing will be here Wednesday.
I've never seen terminal blocks just hanging. They are usually on the front fenders splitting off the connections to the left and right circuits. There are some in-line fuses under the dash that are not attached and just hang. Radio, cig lighter maybe a couple of others.

@Ward 57 the block I removed the directional switch connections from is “duct taped” to a diagonal support under the steering wheel. While I know it’s someones idea of secure, I had to wonder where I could find where the block should really be attached to. And naturally I’ll get it to where it is supposed to be

Here’s another pet peeve…. Your following a blue wire..suddenly, a lump of tape and a yellow wire emerges

@Ward 57 the block I removed the directional switch connections from is “duct taped” to a diagonal support under the steering wheel. While I know it’s someones idea of secure, I had to wonder where I could find where the block should really be attached to. And naturally I’ll get it to where it is supposed to be
I found the same block under the dash, when tracing a brake light failure, zip-tied to the a support member. After effecting the repair (cleaning and reseating the pins in that block, fixed the problem), I simply zip-tied it back up...but yeah, where and how was it *designed* to be mounted, because I'm pretty sure the Ford engineers didn't originally use zip-ties or duct tape 🙂.

According to a reliable source, the turn-signal junction block, once attached to turn-signal switch wiring, hangs freely on 55-56. 57 does not use the junction block. Although the junction block does have mounting holes, it is because the same block is used towards the front of the driver's side inner fender, where it is attached with sheet metal screws.

According to a reliable source, the turn-signal junction block, once attached to turn-signal switch wiring, hangs freely on 55-56. 57 does not use the junction block. Although the junction block does have mounting holes, it is because the same block is used towards the front of the driver's side inner fender, where it is attached with sheet metal screws.
I completed my wiring in Aug of 2020. My junction block under the dash was held up by a sheet metal screw like used on the L/S fender under the hood. I would at least attach it so it doesn't move around and wires come loose. I put mine back where it was originally mounted.

I found p. 67 of the 1956 Electrical Equipment Installation Manual that does seem to indicate that this connector just hangs free in space (originally). Ref. the drawing at the bottom and View C.

On p.65 of the 2021 Concours Parts Catalog, you can find the junction blocks and two screw kits. Both kits are for attaching junction blocks to the inner fenders. There is no screw kit for attaching the under-dash turn-signal junction block.

Re-assembled my steering column and looks and works great …I still question this: IS it possible to extend the column to the point where the steering shaft can exceed the 5-6” of splines near the steering box and the steering wheel can freewheel? Did I miss something during the assembly that acts as a positive stop to limit maximum extension?

Thanks Doug…..I do not have a screw in this location…….YET
I was unaware of it since it was not there upon disassembly

Back 10 months ago @doug7740 had made this post in the “ what did you do to your t-bird today” thread
‘I installed new harnesses and
After getting the wiring in on the 1955 yesterday I installed the steering column to discover that the channel for the wires on the turn signal switch is twisted and needs fixed or replaced, When I try to take the steering column off It doesn't want to come out, I hear a metal to metal thud. So far I'm unable to get it to slip out.

Two years into restoration and it seems nothing was a easy fix with no issues,,

Do I love it or hate it.. jury is still out’

So I had rebuilt the steering column, new directional signal switch, new chrome hub, nut and dash collar and was mounting my small diameter steering wheel ( which was ridiculously tight) and in checking the depth of the set on the splines, I tugged on the wheel and pulled the telescoping pieces completely apart. The wiring for the switch got caught in the fingers of the sliding hub, jammed in the pass thru channel and the shaft was off the steering box. %#$@*% and every thing else I could think of.

Then I remembered that @doug7740 through his many offerings, had shown me how the 1 screw is set in the slider to prevent this. Taking this apart was a long and tedious process for which I spent nearly 2 hours. I am working outdoors, my tools are 60 feet away in the garage (loaded with STUFF) and I always have the wrong sizes or types. I could not find a 1/4-20 slotted screw at all….another 45 minutes looking. Had to re-solder the switch as 1 wire pulled off the terminal. Then start the re-assembly process and thread the switch wiring back into the channel. The thin channel had to be re-shaped from the forces of pulling and pushing the column. This entire project was so time consuming and without the 1/4-20 screw, I could not complete the job.

Enter the 1929 Indian Scout: as a vintage bike restorer, I have a few boxes of spare parts from some old bikes and in the Indian box…bingo. Found a nickel plated screw. While the screw moved me further along, everything is still apart but I fixed the separating steering column and will complete the rest on the next dry warmer day. So maybe I’m satisfied. For now .

E7B3C756-CF31-4BAD-95F7-D5220713A457.jpeg

Had a smulure problem on a 56 column had to disassemble it 2 more times after the first reassembly
Good thing is you get better at it each time you do it.

Back