1956 spring hanger bolts

L
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Has anyone removed and reinstalled the rear spring shackle hangers? Are the hangers attached with carriage bolts instead of rivets? I'm assuming they would be reinstalled using grade 8 carriage bolts, and the holes in the hanger are square broached?

Attachments

• spring hanger.jpg
    spring hanger.jpg
    596.1 KB · Views: 13

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Why do you need to take them off? Besides the fact that the one shown in your photo has the shackle upside down, it can easily be flipped back.

Original from the factory had rivets holding the spring perch brackets to the frame.
The replacements are bolts. ..Grade 8? ..YYes, I'd be very concerned about low grade off-shore made carriage bolts from a generic hardware store.
(photo, unrestored '57 Bird)

Attachments

• 20230626_153152[1].jpg
    20230626_153152[1].jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
The picture of the hanger in the first posting was from a different car. Ours is shown in the pictures below, that I took last night. Planning on removing the hangers and welding in new steel plate and reattach with carriage bolts. We're not doing a restoration now, just making the repair so we can drive it again.

Attachments

• hanger passenger side.jpg
    hanger passenger side.jpg
    960.3 KB · Views: 9
  • drivers side hanger.jpg
    drivers side hanger.jpg
    846.5 KB · Views: 9
Back