1956 speedometer works, odometer not working

G

George Clayton

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a 56 little bird. Speedo works perfectly. The odometer does not work at all. Any known remedies? Do I have to send it out for repair? If so where? All suggestions are welcome.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Who repairs speedometers and tachometers?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 56 little bird. Speedo works perfectly. The odometer does not work at all. Any known remedies? Do I have to send it out for repair? If so where? All suggestions are welcome.
The reason your odometer is not working is because the nylon drive gear is stripped. This gear is designed to strip in the event that one of the odometer number wheels jams, causing the speedometer to lock up. Inside the number wheels are a set of switching gears that move the next number wheel at the appropriate time. I have rebuilt a number of these speedometers and if you have the time and patience it is nothing more than a simple mechanical device. The problem might be getting the parts needed. I am fortunate that I have a few speedometers that I use for parts.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Speedometer.JPG

Odometer Drive Gear.jpg

Odometer Wheels.JPG

Odometer Wheels and Switching Gear.JPG

Williamson Instruments
Ron, 479-369-2551
Recommended to me by Cassco Restorations.
Work on their website is impressive.

Williamson is in PA. I shipped mine there. Return shipping is included in his price.

Back