1956 shifting positions on right hand drive

KellyLyons
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have recently purchased a '56 Thunderbird, 312 & Fordomatic 2 speed auto. The car has been in Australia since 1996 and was converted to right hand drive by a previous owner in the US prior to arriving in Australia. I noticed when test driving a couple of things about the shift lever. While I have owned other classic cars, I am a new first time owner of a '50s Ford, so would like to clarify some things.

1. To start the engine the lever must be slightly moved rearward out of Park. Is this common?

2. Once started to move the lever the button on top must be depressed and moved past Neutral and Reverse into Drive. I am happy with that.

3. When parking, after the car is positioned, keeping my foot on the brake, I noticed I did not need to depress the button again to move forward past Neutral and into Reverse. Does this mean the detent in the mechanism is worn? and needs some attention? Or will it go from Drive to Reverse without using detents?

My main concern is... could the shift lever accidently go into Reverse when you least want it to?

The photo shown is not of my car but one from the net. When the car was converted the shifter position remains unchanged ie: still in the LHD side of the tunnel.

TBShifter.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The engine should only start when the selector lever is in the neutral position. It seems that the neutral safety switch is out of adjustment. Proper adjustment of the switch can be accomplished by placing the shifter in the neutral detent position, after looening the two hex head screws, slide the switch forward or aft to locate the start in neutral position.

NeutralSafetySwitch_3_lg.jpg

CAUTION: As a safety precaution it is advisable to have the rear wheels off the ground and the vehicle properly supported when checking the various shifter positions.

Once the start in neutral position is located, tighten the screws to lock the switch in position. Check all of the shifter positions to insure it will not start in other gear selections.

CAUTION: when checking selected positions apply the brakes as a safety precaution.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Thank you Doug.

Among a few other minor jobs this will definitely be on the to do list when the car arrives in a week or so. I take the point of having the rear wheels off the ground and I intend to put the car up on jack stands.

I have recently purchased a '56 Thunderbird, 312 & Fordomatic 2 speed auto. The car has been in Australia since 1996 and was converted to right hand drive by a previous owner in the US prior to arriving in Australia. I noticed when test driving a couple of things about the shift lever. While I have owned other classic cars, I am a new first time owner of a '50s Ford, so would like to clarify some things.

1. To start the engine the lever must be slightly moved rearward out of Park. Is this common?

2. Once started to move the lever the button on top must be depressed and moved past Neutral and Reverse into Drive. I am happy with that.

3. When parking, after the car is positioned, keeping my foot on the brake, I noticed I did not need to depress the button again to move forward past Neutral and into Reverse. Does this mean the detent in the mechanism is worn? and needs some attention? Or will it go from Drive to Reverse without using detents?

My main concern is... could the shift lever accidently go into Reverse when you least want it to?

The photo shown is not of my car but one from the net. When the car was converted the shifter position remains unchanged ie: still in the LHD side of the tunnel.

View attachment 27467
1. No: it should have to go all the way to Neutral to start if it has the original neutral safety switch. I do recall reading that there are aftermarket switches that allow you to start the car in both Park and Neutral; but even if your car has one of those, it should be the case that it will start *in* Park, not “slightly rearward out of Park” (which would be between Park and Reverse).

2. Yep.

3. Not normal: you should have to push the button to get it to go from Drive into Reverse. (Or from Drive to any other gear).

As you point out, needing to push the button to get past each detent in order to change gears is a safety feature. Since yours seems to move freely after you’ve put it in Drive, I would be extremely careful until you can get it fixed (especially since one’s leg is often resting against the gear selector lever while driving (at least, mine is)).

Hi Will

Thank you for the definite clarification on how the shifter selector should move when using the button. Reading through your response I was interested to learn about aftermarket inhibitor switches allowing starting in Park. I think this will be a good thing to investigate. Hopefully available here in Australia.

CASCO Thunderbird in Coshocton, Ohio sells a neutral safety switch that allows the engine to start in both park and neutral. CASCO will ship internationally.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Switch.jpg

Back