1956 Shift Level Adjustment

J
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
How do I adjust the Automatic Shift lever to not require pushing hard to go into Park to lock in button?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The Thunderbird selector lever is located on the tunnel dome in front of the seat. The lever may be moved by depressing a button on the end of the lever. The lever positions from front to rear are P (park), R (reverse), N (neutral), Dr (drive), and Lo (low). The manual shift rod is connected from the selector lever to the transmission manual lever.

To adjust the manual shift rod, disconnect the manual shift rod from the selector lever. Position the selector lever so that the indicator is down against the stop in the drive position. Position the transmission manual lever in the Dr (drive) detent (second from the front). Adjust the length of the manual shift rod by turning the clevis locknuts until the clevis pin enters the selector lever. Turn the lock nuts one turn counterclockwise and then install the clevis. Lock the clevis in place with the locknuts. Check the pointer alignment for all positions of the selector lever.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Back