1956 rechrome or replace continental kit

F

fac_caniff

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
TBird Colleagues,
My 1956 Thunderbird Continental Kit needs to be re-Chromed or replaced. More specifically, the rear bumper and tire guard area.
I am located in Gunnison (central) Colorado.

What should I do? Re-chrome or replace?
Where can I find a Chrome shop?
Who sells The kits new?
What is the cost?

If you can help with any of these questions, I would appreciate it.

I also appreciate this forum,

Al

Last edited:
Following! I have the same issue & high quality chrome plating is difficult to locate due to local EPA restrictions. Multiple suppliers list steel coverings, but chrome plated next to impossible to locate. Some suppliers included stainless steel covers but was told the manufacturer ceased production. Would welcome correction & availability!

Here’s a start…. For some parts

Bumper-Rear-56.png

Last edited by a moderator:
TBird Colleagues,
My 1956 Thunderbird Continental Kit needs to be re-Chromed or replaced. More specifically, the rear bumper and tire guard area.
I am located in Gunnison (central) Colorado.

What should I do? Re-chrome or replace?
Where can I find a Chrome shop?
Who sells The kits new?
What is the cost?

If you can help with any of these questions, I would appreciate it.

I also appreciate this forum,

Al
Google Chrome replating or rechroming Colorado to see if anything local pops up. Otherwise google chrome replating and a bunch of shops are listed.

The continental kit itself is painted body color from the factory. The tire covers and the ring are available repro from CASCO and most likely the other Tbird parts suppliers.

Do you have the supplier's catalogs? CASCO, Hill's, Prestige, Concours Parts, Tee-Bird Products, Larry's all have catalogs which are usually free.

I guess the real question is how bad is your chrome? Little rust spots or dulling are one thing, but if you have any pitting rechroming won't be possible. Good chrome is a three step process, copper plate, nickel, then chrome.

I guess the real question is how bad is your chrome? Little rust spots or dulling are one thing, but if you have any pitting rechroming won't be possible. Good chrome is a three step process, copper plate, nickel, then chrome.
The pits can be filled and chromed over

@CSPIDY , I know it can be done, however I am more familiar with seeing it not turn out very well. Hopefully there's a talented chrome guy nearby.

Back in the 1990’s. There was a place called Browns plating. I think in Kentucky …they did some amazing show chrome plating and polishing for my 1925 Henderson motorcycle …This bike was in magazines and calendars…the plating was amazing and in the 20’s it was only nickel. One process short of triple chrome plating.

turns out, it LOOKS like they are still there…but check it out first… it also looks like it is a superfund site for toxic waste…
Browns Plating Services in Paducah, Kentucky

I wouldn’t expect it to be cheap though

Last edited:
@CSPIDY , I know it can be done, however I am more familiar with seeing it not turn out very well. Hopefully there's a talented chrome guy nearby.
I had an original model A grill shell that was straight but rusted and pitted.
The guy I took it to filled the pitts with solder and copper before plating with nickel
Looks great, many $$$$ but did I mention it looks great.

I had an original model A grill shell that was straight but rusted and pitted.
The guy I took it to filled the pitts with solder and copper before plating with nickel
Looks great, many $$$$ but did I mention it looks great.
There is a difference from being taken to the cleaners with high prices and shoddy work and quality that is worth the price. Some shops know we will spend good money for our prized cars but just take the money to the bank. They know the attachment we have and prey on it apposed to quality shops that are worth the money. The trick is separating the wheat from the chaff. (yah I'm most definitely old school. )

There is a difference from being taken to the cleaners with high prices and shoddy work and quality that is worth the price. Some shops know we will spend good money for our prized cars but just take the money to the bank. They know the attachment we have and prey on it apposed to quality shops that are worth the money. The trick is separating the wheat from the chaff. (yah I'm most definitely old school. )
Unfortunately, the gentleman that has been doing my chrome work died from coved this past winter.
So I’m searching for another shop.

Following! I have the same issue & high quality chrome plating is difficult to locate due to local EPA restrictions. Multiple suppliers list steel coverings, but chrome plated next to impossible to locate. Some suppliers included stainless steel covers but was told the manufacturer ceased production. Would welcome correction & availability!
Custom metal finishing 50 miles east of Indianapolis Indiana did a great job on my 55, front bumper 4 guards 5 pieces of the steering (horn ring etc. exhaust tube through bumper guard under 1800.00. options are street chrome or show chrome. Google CFM

Back