1956 Rear End Height

G

George Clayton

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I am considering purchasing new leaf springs for my 56. How or where can I find out the normal/proper height of the rear of this car? Where would I measure this distance from? If it is not sagging should I still replace the leafsprings?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The height of the rear of a 56, measured from the ground to the middle of the taillight, should be 22.76 inches. Rear height is also influenced by the height of the front end and vice versa. The spec on the front is 28.76 inches, measured from the ground to the middle of the headlight. This height is measured by two people (total weight 300 lbs) in the car. Per CASCO

I am considering purchasing new leaf springs for my 56. How or where can I find out the normal/proper height of the rear of this car? Where would I measure this distance from? If it is not sagging should I still replace the leafsprings?
When you post to the forums, please include the 4-digit model year of your car in the subject as prompted. This aids in google and with our site search page.
Since this is an all Ford Thunderbird site, you can also omit the Make/Model of the car from your subject. Your subject has been updated.

model-year.jpg

Be advised that what was in the original shop manual as the ford spec is not what the judging organization is using as "gospel" now. I'm out of town and don't have the specifics handy but the "gospel" today is about an inch higher than the original ford specification. Why? I don't know. My car seems to be pretty close to ford's spec but would not pass the judging requirements today.

Thank you. I will go with the "gospel"
Interesting. Mine is a '57 and it rides at factory specs after I replaced the front springs and re- arched the rears 30 yrs ago. they did say they added another leaf. The only problem is that the rear is a little stiff and I can feel every bump in the seat.

Be advised that what was in the original shop manual as the ford spec is not what the judging organization is using as "gospel" now. I'm out of town and don't have the specifics handy but the "gospel" today is about an inch higher than the original ford specification. Why? I don't know. My car seems to be pretty close to ford's spec but would not pass the judging requirements today.
Untitled.png
doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Just for completeness of the info, here is the original ford spec. The front is only an inch different than doug7740 posted from the judging guidelines but the rear is over 4 inches different.

I took photos of my car at the two different speced heights. To me the factory spec looks more like most cars look from the factory, with a bit of the wheel shrouded by the upper fender. The concours spec has the entire rear wheel exposed and it just doesn't look right to me. Possibly with the fender skirts on the jacked up look goes away.

two height compared anno rs.jpg

ride hieght specification 1957 tbird another source perhaps.jpg

Back