1956 power seat wiring

D

Daryl

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
After attaching wiring looms from the switches to the relays and relays to the motors, the power goes to the relay but does not go to the switches or motors. The relays can be jumped from the relay main center power tab which will activate the motors both forward and backward but the switches do not become energized. I purchased the new style relays from NPD but the issue remains the same I.e. power to the power tab on the relay but no power beyond that point. I have the detailed wiring diagram for the entire vehicle and photos from postings but still can’t figure it out. HELP!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Check power at the switch. The seat switch should have power. When you activate the switch, the power goes from the switch to the relay which then energizes and operates the motor. It sounds like you have a wire crossed or unplugged.

The red wire at terminal A of the ignition switch is connected to the 30 amp circuit breaker that is located on the shelf behind the dash panel. From the circuit breaker the black/white wire goes through a connector and supplies voltage to the power seat switch.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Power Seat.jpg

Power Seat and Window Circuit Breakers.JPG

The red wire at terminal A of the ignition switch is connected to the 30 amp circuit breaker that is located on the shelf behind the dash panel. From the circuit breaker the black/white wire goes through a connector and supplies voltage to the power seat switch.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

View attachment 30781

View attachment 30782
What side of the dash is the circuit breakers on? Also these are both 30amp correct?

If you have power to the seat relay "B" terminal, the problem will not be with the circuit breakers. These circuit breakers are near bullet proof and it is extremely rare for them to fail. The problem appears to be in your switch wiring since it is the switch in the door that activates the relay and completes the circuit.

What side of the dash is the circuit breakers on? Also these are both 30amp correct?
To answer your question; the circuit breakers are located towards the center of the dash behind the instrument cluster. The circuit breaker, with the red wire coming from the ignition switch, is a 30 amp breaker. The circuit breaker, with the yellow wire coming from the circuit breaker mounted in the engine compartment, is a 20 amp circuit breaker.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Circuit Breakers.jpg

Last edited:
Back