1956 passenger side door mirror

woodeye

woodeye

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Does anyone have a mirror on the passenger door to match the drivers door, or have an opinion on location. The place my drivers side mirror is mounted works ok but the same location on the passenger side looks like the door glass pillar would block it. Seems like it would look weird if they weren't similarly positioned.
It's gotten to the point that it's tough to get my head and shoulders around to check the rt. side when driving or even pulling in close to something.
Thanks Jeff

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I had posted something on this a while back. I had the same thought as you that the windshield post would block the mirror. My solution was to relocate both mirrors somewhat rearward so that the locations of both were the same and that the view of the RH mirror was unobstructed. I also use convex mirrors on both sides. Maybe
not correct for the purists but I can now see both sides and feel safer.
l’ll measure this if you’d like?

I had posted something on this a while back. I had the same thought as you that the windshield post would block the mirror. My solution was to relocate both mirrors somewhat rearward so that the locations of both were the same and that the view of the RH mirror was unobstructed. I also use convex mirrors on both sides. Maybe
not correct for the purists but I can now see both sides and feel safer.
l’ll measure this if you’d like?
that is a fine solution. If someone objects to your mirror relocation; phooey on them. If I am not paying your bills, it is none of my business.

Hi thanks for your response
I thought about that too, but worried about the existing front most screw hole on the driver's door I'll have to look if the base would cover it.
measurements would help, even a couple of pictures from inside and out if possible
thanks

Jack In Sac
I agree with your phoney comment

I as well have posted on this topic previously and totally agree with the phooey comment. I run two mirrors with the passenger side mirror slightly back from the driver side, been that way for years and no one has ever noticed or commented on it. I have to back the car into a fairly tight spot in the garage and it makes that much easier for me. Have fine visibility out on the road as well.
go for whatever works best for you!

Does anyone have a mirror on the passenger door to match the drivers door, or have an opinion on location. The place my drivers side mirror is mounted works ok but the same location on the passenger side looks like the door glass pillar would block it. Seems like it would look weird if they weren't similarly positioned.
It's gotten to the point that it's tough to get my head and shoulders around to check the rt. side when driving or even pulling in close to something.
Thanks Jeff

I had someone move the passenger side mirror around while I sat in the car so it would be positioned where nothing obstructed it. The difference between sides isn't enough to notice.

it looks like they're the same except the mirror might be convex on passenger side

Here are the photos. The forward mounting hole is now 3” from the front of the door which puts the mirror ~2 3/8 from the front of the door. This will give you a clear view on the RH side.
I was able to weld the LH forward hole as my car was still in primer when I relocated the mirrors.
I have a new in the box mirror from Casco if you need one.
848AF73F-5465-4885-9768-3ED7EB6885C5.jpeg2281C780-E619-48BC-B77D-CEA8B9E3C3EA.jpeg03C5870D-EEFA-40B2-8EFA-0114092078D4.jpeg

Thank you for sharing this. I find it a great solution to a problem most of us have experienced.

Yes as Jack in sac said thank you!.
I probably will leave the driver's door mirror alone until such time as I'm doing some painting but can probably live with the mismatch until I can't.
Your car looks to only have 1 mounting hole on the mirror so I'm assuming you have a 55. I have a 56. Didn't the 55s have wing windows? Probable best to get a mirror and as Jimntempe said have someone move it around until I find the best spot.
Thanks to all of you who chimed in! Jeff

Back