1956 Oil Bath Air Cleaner | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1956 Oil Bath Air Cleaner

• Thread starter Thread starter McCoupe
  • Start date Start date
McCoupe
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
For years I have been trying to solve a slight engine stumble, just off idle, usually as you gently accelerate after turning a corner, or coming out of a round-a-bout etc.
Had changed everything, New Holley 600 vac sec, Alloy heads & Inlet, ignition, camshaft, but although it improved, was still noticeable. I had cleaned the oil bath filter out, socked it in solvents, rinsed it, dried it, so thought nothing of it being a cause. The other day I took it off & drove the car, something I would not normally do, as an apprentice mechanic 50 years ago, you were taught never to risk an engine back firing & the carburetor catching on fire, by the time you'd stopped the car & got the bonnet up, it was to late. But I did it anyway & the car preformed perfectly, no stumble, no hesitation.
I will now convert to Paper element, but need to ask, who is the most affordable to purchase from? or does someone have a spare they would part with?
Thks
Peter Mc

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

You would have to modify/ruin the oil-bath air cleaner assembly to accommodate a paper element. The wire-mesh filtration element would have to be separated/cut off of the lid, and the paper element would take its place. Shelve the oil-bath air cleaner and buy an aftermarket air cleaner/w paper element. Actually, the oil-bath air cleaner is quite efficient; but it can be an inconvenient/messy.

You would have to modify/ruin the oil-bath air cleaner assembly to accommodate a paper element. The wire-mesh filtration element would have to be separated/cut off of the lid, and the paper element would take its place. Shelve the oil-bath air cleaner and buy an aftermarket air cleaner/w paper element. Actually, the oil-bath air cleaner is quite efficient; but it can be an inconvenient/messy.
Thks, I had no intention of destroying the original air cleaner, was hoping someone had a spare paper element aftermarket conversion they no longer wanted, or could advise , who currently has the best price on a new one.

Thks, I had no intention of destroying the original air cleaner, was hoping someone had a spare paper element aftermarket conversion they no longer wanted, or could advise , who currently has the best price on a new one.
Please type without italics for your entire paragraphs on future posts. I've edited your post. Screenshot_20210831-070625_Edge.jpg

They switched to paper because it was better breathing and filtered better.

Attachments

Last edited:
Beow is a variation of the dry filter installation. All that is required to convert your oil bath air filter to use a dry element is the purchase of a polished stainless air cleaner cover (#9600B) available from CASCO and a dry element (NAPA 6161 or K&N E-1447).

air-filter-conversion.jpg
doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

I don't agree that a paper element has superior filtration qualities. However, would you rather replace a paper element, or clean an oil-bath? For convenience sake, I will use a paper element. I only wish I had known about the previous post's conversion before selling my original, but poorly modified, dress-up, oil-bath air cleaner. I could have used the intact base and purchased the stainless lid and paper element.

For years I have been trying to solve a slight engine stumble, just off idle, usually as you gently accelerate after turning a corner, or coming out of a round-a-bout etc.
Had changed everything, New Holley 600 vac sec, Alloy heads & Inlet, ignition, camshaft, but although it improved, was still noticeable. I had cleaned the oil bath filter out, socked it in solvents, rinsed it, dried it, so thought nothing of it being a cause. The other day I took it off & drove the car, something I would not normally do, as an apprentice mechanic 50 years ago, you were taught never to risk an engine back firing & the carburetor catching on fire, by the time you'd stopped the car & got the bonnet up, it was to late. But I did it anyway & the car preformed perfectly, no stumble, no hesitation.
I will now convert to Paper element, but need to ask, who is the most affordable to purchase from? or does someone have a spare they would part with?
Thks
Peter Mc
I bought the paper air cleaner that looks just like the original from CASCO. $400 is a little pricey but the previous owner had damaged the oil filter so I had to get a new one.

Back