1956 OEM power steering repair/ replacement options

woodeye

woodeye

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I rebuilt the cylinder/valve for the power steering but it still doesn't work at all.
At least it doesn't leak now.
I looked into a rack and pinion system but they're quite expensive. I'd rather just get the OEM power steering to work correctly.
I'm not even sure how well the original systems worked originally, as mine never did work since I got the car.
My wife can't even drive the car and it's takes all I've got to parallel park. It's not too bad once it's rolling.
I read some ware that the rebuilt valve/cylinders we're no very good.
I'm wondering if anyone has had a good experience with just getting a replacement, and if it's worth it.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

2 things unless you have a welder and can cut the cylinder apart you will only be able to replace the outer seal. Did you check pump pressure? There is a company in Ohio I use to rebuild my cylinders, if your interested.

I rebuilt the cylinder/valve for the power steering but it still doesn't work at all.
At least it doesn't leak now.
I looked into a rack and pinion system but they're quite expensive. I'd rather just get the OEM power steering to work correctly.
I'm not even sure how well the original systems worked originally, as mine never did work since I got the car.
My wife can't even drive the car and it's takes all I've got to parallel park. It's not too bad once it's rolling.
I read some ware that the rebuilt valve/cylinders we're no very good.
I'm wondering if anyone has had a good experience with just getting a replacement, and if it's worth it.
I’m having a Borgeson power steering system installed on my 56 I’ve been told this is the way to go Will post the of this conversation

2 things unless you have a welder and can cut the cylinder apart you will only be able to replace the outer seal. Did you check pump pressure? There is a company in Ohio I use to rebuild my cylinders, if your interested.
Yes I'd like to talk to them. Could you get me their p[hone number.

I’m having a Borgeson power steering system installed on my 56 I’ve been told this is the way to go Will post the of this conversation
Please let me know how the new system performs. When are they doing it.

Please let me know how the new system performs. When are they doing it.
The car went to the shop today haven’t been given a time frame but I’m hoping about a week . Cruise season starts in a few weeks in Ontario and don’t want to miss out on the fun

Back