1956 Noisy Hub Caps

C
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello from Arizona
I just bought this beautiful raven black TBird
When driving it I first thought the brakes were craping but found out its the original 2 piece wire hub caps making noise
After taking them off wire portion there is no noise. After inspecting the cover they all seem solid and nothing loose.
Does any know how to fix this?
Thanks and yeah it was 70 degrees today Feb 2/2021
Rick

Hello from Arizona
When driving it I first thought the brakes were craping but found out its the original 2 piece wire hub caps making noise
After taking them off wire portion there is no noise. After inspecting the cover they all seem solid and nothing loose.
Rick
Not familiar with the wire wheels but the wheel covers on my '57 tend to work loose as the wheels flex more with radial tires. Now I make sure I tap them all in before a drive. I have chased down errant wheel covers enough to check them often.

Had the same problem. I'm guessing you have radial tires, if so they squash out a little more than bias ply and lean on the edge of the hub cap making it squeek. I cranked up the tire pressure and all of that noise went away.
Tom

Hello from Arizona
Rick
Put a little bit of clear silicone between the wire basket and main body. Let it dry over night. Should take care of noise.

Noisy wire hub caps still driving me insane. Makes you think the brakes are scraping but they are not. I tried filling the tires to 55 lbs.,...didn't work. Took the wire hub caps off no noise. So its definitely the wire hub caps. Checked the hub caps they are solid as rock. Put silicone under the cap...still noisy. Put 1/8" felt pads underneath to make a gap between the wheel and the hub cap... still noisy. Only option at the moment is to take them off and leave only the centers. Ugly but not noisy. Sure would like to put the wire outers on. If you know some magic I'm open to suggestions. I can not be the only guy with this problem. Stay safe - Rick

Here is a thought, try getting a can of silicone spray and just spray down the spokes. It's clear won't attract dirt. Give it a shot that might be all you need. That would be my next move.
Tom

Back