1956 Mechanical Temperature Gauge

woodeye

woodeye

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I'd like to put a mech temp. gauge in my 56 t-bird as oem one isn't working and I'm not ready to figure out why right now. The fitting on end of tub for the new one is too small for the threaded hole in the intake manifold and the adaptor the gave too is too big. Is there a diff. adaptor I need to get . It would need to have a seat for the tube to be tightened down on. I don't think a regular plumbing ftg would work.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I replacedine on a 56 and you need to drill and fap
Sorry to be the bearer of.ore worl, good luck.

The late Walt Nuckels (old time TBirder) suggested using a digital readout gauge that he bought from Grainger. The part number is 2T713 (the last time I looked) which has a long 12 foot lead with a very small sensor that is inserted into the thermostate housing under the hose. I have more info on this if you are interested. I don't know if it can be mounted. Very inexpensive

For an after market gauge pull the matching bung on the other cylinder head and insert dry, no sealant, a replacement bung from one of the T-bird suppliers.
Bye the way; if Walt said it it is true.

Take you mechanical gauge to your local napa along with a plug or fitting from the hole you want to use. There are different adapters available.

Back