1956 Key cylinder removal

zbird
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
used key tool to remove key starter from dash, but cant remove cylinder from unit, note car key not able to enter slot or turn any direction, furthermore can not see any pin hole, do I have disconnect the unit?

I do know that you need to insert the key and turn the switch to the "ON" position in order to see the hole so you can insert the tool to remove the insert. If the key won't go into the switch, yes you need to replace the switch.

I do know that you need to insert the key and turn the switch to the "ON" position in order to see the hole so you can insert the tool to remove the insert. If the key won't go into the switch, yes you need to replace the switch.
Thanks I will jiggle it a bit if no luck, Sadly will remove the switch unit, but I swear I don't see that pin hole

Thanks I will jiggle it a bit if no luck, Sadly will remove the switch unit, but I swear I don't see that pin hole
So you don't have the original key? Are you sure you aren't trying the trunk/glove box key? If the one you are trying doesn't work the door locks that may be the case. You may have to take the switch to a locksmith and have them pick the lock to turn the cylinder and have them make you a new key which should also fit the door locks.

Thanks, Defiantly using correct key but as mentioned I can see something blocking key hole I assume the pins moved, so key wont go in (only the very tip) I have a strong magnify glass so maybe will see a pin hole, If no choice will disconnect he switch the just a drag as quite a few wires to remove, and not as nimble as I was.

Hole for the ignition switch key cylinder release pin.

Attachments

• 20220419 ign switch release pin.jpg
    20220419 ign switch release pin.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 4
I also want to say videos on internet shows pin hole on front I knew I wasn't going crazy when few people told me its there.

Still cant remove cylinder. My only guess is key must enter completely with one turn left? and then depress pin. See photos and thoughts

Attachments

• IMG_6662.jpg
    IMG_6662.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6670.jpg
    IMG_6670.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6674.jpg
    IMG_6674.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 5
I tried to move pin and also to depress it wont budge
Graphite dust or penetrating may come in handy. Post the information here, not 3rd party site suggests you may have to use a small punch with a little more effort. This will most likely damage the cylinder and a new one with new pin will be required. But first take the new one to a locksmith and have it re-pined to match your original key.

Last edited:
Have dust will try. But am I correct the key should be in and turn to ACC position? which I cant do right now but will try with the graphite

Have dust will try. But am I correct the key should be in and turn to ACC position? which I cant do right now but will try with the graphite
If you know it's the right key and it works in the doors, coat it in graphite and into the lock as much as possible and start working the key in and out to try to free up the frozen pins. you may be able to save it. A few raps with something may help why trying to turn the key. I just wonder how they froze in the first place.

Hi - I'm having the EXACT same issue with my '56. I have the ignition switch out. I removed the wires from each post (3/8" socket for the nuts), noting which wires go where.

No luck rapping and lubing and probing with a pick. I can't depress the release pin on the side of the ignition switch body either. Nobody has said it yet, still, but it must be necessary to turn the key in order to depress that side pin, to remove the cylinder. One YouTube suggested drilling out the cylinder (could then maybe use a screwdriver to start!) but replacing both the switch and cylinder seems easiest at this point, around $20 each per quick google. Hate to have 3 different keys, so maybe the new cylinder could be rekeyed.

What happened: I had noticed the ignition key getting a little harder to insert, but today I accidentally tried the trunk key first, and when I realized my mistake the correct key would no longer go all the way in.

There is actually another post for a 57 that says you need to turn the key or if no key use a punch(!), which seems like a risk of damage to the switch. Best advice on that thread is probably to take the switch assembly to a good locksmith.

Back