1956 Hard Top Removing Old Weather Strip Screws

J
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
What is the best technique/solvent to get the rusted screws out of the hard top? I was able to scrape away of the old weather strip but cannot remove the old screws,

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The top is fiberglass & I do not recall steel inserts, but I only did top front. Not sure if there is a steel insert in lower/back?
If the screws are not rusted to a steel insert anything that can grip the screws should work.

What is the best technique/solvent to get the rusted screws out of the hard top? I was able to scrape away of the old weather strip but cannot remove the old screws,
The screws are instlled into the fiberglass. there are no captive nuts or other attaching points to screw into except hoes drilled into the top. Be very careful. is you ust drill use a drill stop. it is too easy to go too far and then need to patch the top. There several tools available that include a shallow drill bit and combination easy-out. I recently had to do this on another project.

The top is fiberglass & I do not recall steel inserts, but I only did top front. Not sure if there is a steel insert in lower/back?
If the screws are not rusted to a steel insert anything that can grip the screws should work.
Retainers.png

000_4943.JPG

000_4945.JPG

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

If the heads are rusted out and you can’t use your screwdriver you might have to drill the top off the screws and use pliers to unscrew the remaining screw or you might have to drill new holes? Have you tried penetrating oil?

I was lucky, mine were rusted but came out.

Back