1956 fuel gauge shows 1/4 when over 1/2 full

CtCarGuy

CtCarGuy

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My fuel gauge shows 1/4 when over 1/2 full. I decided to see if I could adjust the float to compensate. I removed the access cover in the trunk to find the sender is not under the cover but forward and not accessible. ( Cleaned the ground wire while I was there.) Has anyone else seen this? I may drop the tank over the winter anyway so I can try to adjust it then. Thanks.

My fuel gauge shows 1/4 when over 1/2 full. I decided to see if I could adjust the float to compensate. I removed the access cover in the trunk to find the sender is not under the cover but forward and not accessible. ( Cleaned the ground wire while I was there.) Has anyone else seen this? I may drop the tank over the winter anyway so I can try to adjust it then. Thanks.
I changed the Sending unit on my 56 312 & it mounted through the access hole in trunk. Mine needs adjustment, but have yet to re-access to adjust.

I've never had an old car where the gas gauge was reliable.
Better to have it read less, than more

I've never had an old car where the gas gauge was reliable.
Better to have it read less, than more

interesting comment. So on a trip what mileage do you assume before thinking about gas?

I have the exact opposite problem, mine read 1/4 and I ran out of gas !
Lesson learned keep track of your milage when gassing up. I also have the same gas tank I'm guessing it's a replacement and the gauge doesn't line up with the hole. My car is nice enough but not a show car so I just measured out where the gauge is and cut a new access hole in the trunk. Once I replace the mat you can't tell, this allows adjustment or replacement at will. Remember if you drop the tank and your adjustment isn't right you have to go through it again. Just a thought.
Tom

Here is a link to an in depth discussion on our King Seeley sending units and aftermarket solutions:

http://forums.*******************/Topic142832-1.aspx

Last edited:
Back