1956 Front End Height After New Springs

Pmaboy
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
After rebuilding the front end on my 56 T-Bird including new springs, the front end seems a bit high even though the springs were exactly the same size as the ones I took out. . Is this normal? Haven't driven it yet. Will it settle after driving?

20240122_164955 (2024-01-23T00_44_04.710).png20240122_165022 (2024-01-23T00_29_56.533).png

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Keep in mind that the springs you replaced were probably sagging. It may settle a little but probably not much...

Thanks. I just noticed it being much higher as you can see in the pictures. Also looks a little higher than most Baby Birds I see.
Keep in mind that the springs you replaced were probably sagging. It may settle a little but probably not much...

It will probably settle some but I doubt more than 1/4" anytime soon. Here are the judging standards. From what I've seen most cars sit lower than these. The official ford specs, which they ignore with no explanation, are lower in some cases. Use these as a guide and if nothing else it will give an idea whether you have a substantial difference in how close the front and rear heights are to the spec.
ride spring height judging manual excerpt ctci tbird.jpg

The stance is way too high, Where did you order the springs from ?

Attachments

• 1956-sage-green-ford-thunderbird-with out the top.jpg
    1956-sage-green-ford-thunderbird-with out the top.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 14
There is a old mechanic's trick to lower the stance by heating up the spring and or cutting one link ......

After rebuilding the front end on my 56 T-Bird including new springs, the front end seems a bit high even though the springs were exactly the same size as the ones I took out. . Is this normal? Haven't driven it yet. Will it settle after driving?
That is way too high. You will probably experience really poor handling to the point of being unsafe. The '56s have enough issues with steering when the ride height is correct.

I'm looking for a MOOG coil spring compressor, anyone have a lead? Thx Doug

Something else to consider.

Did your front end rebuild include new control arm bushings?

If so, did you tighten the bushings after you lowered the car to the ground or when the suspension was hanging? You should always wait to tighten the bushings after the car is on the ground with the full weight or the bushings could bind. This could account for some of the increase in ride height.

Back