1956 Door latch re-install

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
CtCarGuy

CtCarGuy

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
The passenger side door latch on my '56 has been troublesome. I took it out, cleaned and lubed it but the shaft on the star wheel seems a bit rough. With that said, I need to put the latch back in but am having problem aligning the door lock tab. Otherwise it goes in but the tab keeps it from sitting flush. I am almost of the thought to take the tab off since who needs door locks on a convertible? Is these some sort of trick to get this to work.

I need the car for this weekend so I am putting the old latch in but will likely replace it. Thanks.

I brought a new latch because my door would not close snug and I thought it was because the latch was worn. I greased it but to no avail. I tried to put a new one on but the door still didn't fit snug. The reason is that my door, sometime in its previous life, got hit and got out of kilter. It will never seat properly without a major hinge/body/frame repair, so for now it closes and locks but it is still out of alignment and not snug. I will live with that.

The passenger side door latch on my '56 has been troublesome. I took it out, cleaned and lubed it but the shaft on the star wheel seems a bit rough. With that said, I need to put the latch back in but am having problem aligning the door lock tab. Otherwise it goes in but the tab keeps it from sitting flush. I am almost of the thought to take the tab off since who needs door locks on a convertible? Is these some sort of trick to get this to work.

I need the car for this weekend so I am putting the old latch in but will likely replace it. Thanks.
Attached is an article taken from CASCO's ThunderEnlightening newsletter which explains modifying the door latch.

doug7740
!955 Thunderbird Blue

Attachments

• Door Latch Modification.pdf
    350.8 KB · Views: 24

Got it. The trick is to remove the outer door lock. Held in by a spring c clip. Then put the latch back and it all ines up. Getting the window track back was a bit difficult but for now it works.

Back