1956 Data plate decoding for L1

E
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
none
Hello to all. Although I have owned classic Fords for many years (Mustangs), I am just now beginning to learn about Thunderbirds. I am in the market for a 1956. My question today involves the attached data plate.

I believe the production code includes A sales area code of “L1”. I cannot seem to find this code listed anywhere, and it was my understanding that letters and numbers were never used at the same time. Can someone help me understand the code?

The data plate is for this car (link below), I am considering for purchase. Any feedback would also be helpful. Thanks so much!

E131C267-813E-4653-B699-0E182825EEA9.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you bid or purchase on this car, please use our ebay affiliate link below so we get credit from ebay! This will not cost you anything.

1.jpg1956.jpg

Last edited:
This 1956 Thunderbird sold on eBay on December 8, 2009. it is white with a red and white interior and has a matching porthole hard top and black soft top. This car was located in Florence, Kentucky with a super low and original 13,500 miles on its odometer. On July 2020 it was at the Mecum auction in Indianapolis, Indiana.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

I’ve now been told the L1 in the production code signifies a Los Angeles delivered car. The one signifies a 1000 deliveries to that sales division. Is this correct!

Yes, that is the correct information. After the item number reaches 999 on the districts, Ford dropped the second letter of the code, therefore LP becomes "L".

Attached is decoded VIN for the car that you are interested in,

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

1956 Thunderbird VIN P6FH256597 40A E XB 30CL1422
P = Engine Code - 312 Cubic Inch Displacement (225 HP with Fordomatic Transmission)
6 = Model Year - 1956
F = Assembly Plant - Dearborn
H = Body Style - Thunderbird
256597 = Consecutive Unit Number of All Ford Cars Assembled
40A = Body Type (All 1955 & 1956 Ford Cars Were Coded 40A)
E = Body Color – Colonial White (If A Second Letter Shows, It Indicates A Different Color for the Hardtop)
XB = Trim Color - Red/White
30 = Day of the Month
C = Month - March
L = Sales Area District – Los Angeles
1422 = The 1422nd Thunderbird Shipped to the Los Angeles District for the 1956 Model Year.

Yes, that is the correct information. After the item number reaches 999 on the districts, Ford dropped the second letter of the code, therefore LP becomes "L".

Attached is decoded VIN for the car that you are interested in,

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Thank you for this info. Your breakdown shows the "P in the VIN to represent a "312 Cubic Inch Displacement (225 HP with Fordomatic Transmission)". I'm assuming you cannot tell, based on the VIN, if the car as an automatic or manual. I'm assuming you listed the car as an automatic because of the photos, not the VIN, correct?

I determined that this Thunderbird is equipped with a Ford-O-Matic transmission by the picture of the shiftier in the photos and the item specifics in the eBay listing.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

As a follow-up, the car sold before I could schedule my inspector.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello to all. Although I have owned classic Fords for many years (Mustangs), I am just now beginning to learn about Thunderbirds. I am in the market for a 1956. My question today involves the attached data plate.

I believe the production code includes A sales area code of “L1”. I cannot seem to find this code listed anywhere, and it was my understanding that letters and numbers were never used at the same time. Can someone help me understand the code?

The data plate is for this car (link below), I am considering for purchase. Any feedback would also be helpful. Thanks so much!

View attachment 13475
L alone is for Los Angeles. The LP was used for 1 to 999. When the order number reached 1000, they used the L alone. There wasn't confusion because other Lx districts did not reach as high as Los Angeles.

Back