1956 Correct seal for rear end

woodeye

woodeye

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
It sounds like from reading some of the threads that the 55 & 56 birds had the same differential and the 57 used a ford 9". It sounds like the 9" had a 1 piece dif. seal where the 55,56 used a seal and a gasket according to my local parts house. The catalogue seem to agree. How do I know if I have a 9" or the other version. I haven't pulled my yoke and seal yet. I wanted to have the new one in hand first. In the Larry's catalogue the pictures of the rear ends, mine looks more like the 55,56.
Also should I be prepared to have trouble getting the yoke nut or yoke off the dif. I have an impact and a puller I think will work. I plan to mark the nut and shaft and yoke to get them back in the same place they were.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I.d. is easy. A 9inch has a ring of bolts on the front side of the carrier and drops out the front. A Dana 44 has a rear cover plate.

Back