1956 Correct power steering fluid

woodeye

woodeye

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Well on to my next repair.
I blew the return power steering hose and I seem to remember someone saying not to use either power steering fluid or transmission fluid which is what I remember using way back when.
Any one tell me what is correct.
What's in there now is red like trans fluid.
I assume the system is going to need to be bled, is there a suggestion on the procedure for bleeding the PS reservoir, return line, etc.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Well on to my next repair.
I blew the return power steering hose and I seem to remember someone saying not to use either power steering fluid or transmission fluid which is what I remember using way back when.
Any one tell me what is correct.
What's in there now is red like trans fluid.
I assume the system is going to need to be bled, is there a suggestion on the procedure for bleeding the PS reservoir, return line, etc.
Transmission Fluid Type F or FA not the newer fluids. System does not need to bled, but what I do is jack up front end, I use a lift fill system, start engine, turn steering wheel left and right to end of stroke a few times. You should be good to go.

Thanks guys. Back together and seems to be working no leaks. Can't take it out it's raining.
BTW the dipstick on mine says use 10W oil. Looks like a new reservoir unit. Very clean and paint looks brand new.
Might be a replacement.
I used type F trans fluid.

Back