1956 Changing Top/Interior colors

M

Mr. Bill

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I am changing the color of my soft top convertible on my 56 baby bird from black to logo red . I would like to change some of my interior colors as well. The car is a colonial white exterior with a red and white interior seats,Red rug red dash red and white door panels. The steering wheel is also supposed to be red. These items are very faded( look more like salmon then red) over the 63 years and I would like to change all of them over closer to the color of the new logo red top. Does anyone know where I can have my steering wheel recolored and where I can get a dash skin cover as well as the door panel in the logo red and white colors I am looking for? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks MR. Bill

When you post to the forum, add the model year in the subject as well as a summary of your post. This will result in more responses. I've updated both for you.
model-year.jpg

I am changing the color of my soft top convertible on my 56 baby bird from black to logo red . I would like to change some of my interior colors as well. The car is a colonial white exterior with a red and white interior seats,Red rug red dash red and white door panels. The steering wheel is also supposed to be red. These items are very faded( look more like salmon then red) over the 63 years and I would like to change all of them over closer to the color of the new logo red top. Does anyone know where I can have my steering wheel recolored and where I can get a dash skin cover as well as the door panel in the logo red and white colors I am looking for? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks MR. Bill
Steering wheel: Have you tried the usual Thunderbird suppliers? Also try local body and paint shops. '57 had colored steering wheels. that should be worth a look.
Interior parts: Have you tried the usual Thunderbird suppliers?
good luck, J.

Thanks MR. Bill
Classic /CASCO Thunderbird in Coshocton,Ohio.

The steering wheel on my T-Bird was cracked and faded requiring replacement. Since you cannot purchase a 1955 Thunderbird steering wheel from any of the Thunderbird suppliers, I purchased a used 1955 red steering wheel and had CASCO repaint it Thunderbird Blue. Five years and over 5,000 miles later, the steering wheel still looks like new.

Attached are pictures of the used red steering wheel I purchased, and how it looks after CASCO repainted it Thunderbird Blue.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Attachments

• Red Steering Wheel Back.jpg
    Red Steering Wheel Back.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Red Steering Wheel Front.jpg
    Red Steering Wheel Front.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Repainted Steering Wheel Back.jpg
    Repainted Steering Wheel Back.jpg
    458.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Repainted Steering Wheel Front.jpg
    Repainted Steering Wheel Front.jpg
    511.6 KB · Views: 0
Thanks MR. Bill
I had my 56's steering wheel color changed from Red to Peacock Blue by a local classic car shop that was restoring the body and exterior and interior paint.
The wheel had no cracks so the process only required sanding, priming, painting and clear coating as the dash was being done. YouTube has videos on the process.
I'm working to get my Bird back on the road so I can't say how the wheel will wear. But my body shop has had good experience with this process even with cracks that had to be epoxyed.

• Like/Thanks
Reactions: JDJ
Has anyone used a company called Fibre view? They advertise that they can change the colors on interior parts, seats ,rugs dash and so on. Has anyone tried this company and it's process on any interior parts? if so good or bad results? they are a franchise company in a few states. asked them for a price quote for the 56 bird change of interior color of red and white seats stearing wheel, dash door panels. Have not heard back from them yet.

I just used an instant fabric spray to color a faded area of the rug in my 56 . it looks great at this point.
the product is tulip color shot instant fabric color. It matches my red carpeting and was easy to spray on. I will let everyone know how it lasts.

Mr. Bill. I have been lurking on this forum for some time and your post prompted me to sign up. I put a red top on my Colonial White 56 bird. It is an aftermarket top that I got from Hills. I know it's not a concours correct but mine didn't come with a soft top from the factory anyway. Like yours, my interior is fading a bit but the top and red/white interior really compliment each other. Attached is a photo.

Kip

Attachments

• IMG_2096.JPG
    IMG_2096.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • Like/Thanks
Reactions: JDJ
I think your bird looks great and if mine looks as good with the new top and the interior as it is I will leave it. Your bird looks GREAT!!

Thanks so much! Keep us posted when you get the new top.

Mr. Bill. I have been lurking on this forum for some time and your post prompted me to sign up. I put a red top on my Colonial White 56 bird. It is an aftermarket top that I got from Hills. I know it's not a concours correct but mine didn't come with a soft top from the factory anyway. Like yours, my interior is fading a bit but the top and red/white interior really compliment each other. Attached is a photo.

Kip
@ThunderKip if you post some photos in the photo gallery, I will feature your car one week as photo of the week.
https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum.com/thunderbird-photos/

Back