1956 brake light switch installation

MRansom
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
have ordered brake light switch (replaced 5 years ago) - replacement looks simple, but what is best way to access? Top of frame, or from below? Is resulting bleeding of brakes always required, or only if brake pedal becomes spongy?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Folks, when you post to the forum, your subject needs to summarize what your post is about so people know when looking at the overview. "1956 brake light switch" could mean anything.

Topic updated.

model-year-TBF.jpg

have ordered brake light switch (replaced 5 years ago) - replacement looks simple, but what is best way to access? Top of frame, or from below? Is resulting bleeding of brakes always required, or only if brake pedal becomes spongy?
Replaced mine last month on my 56.
Work from the top no bleeding required unless you push the brake pedal accidentally.
Handy to have a second person under car making sure you don't kink the brake lines while loosening the switch unit.

X2 what Baristadave said, Ron Francis sells a quality switch for about $35.00

X2 what Baristadave said, Ron Francis sells a quality switch for about $35.00
I replaced mine a few months ago took the battery tray out for better access. Had to grip the brass coupler with channel locks to prevent kinking of the break lines also I put teflon tape on the switch threads.

I wouldn't use teflon tape on brakes, even though the thread is pipe thread. If some breaks off it will foul up the brakes.

I advise going from the top. before completely removing the old switch, make sure you have the new one right next to the hole to minimize fluid loss. Usually you do not have to bleed the brakes in a switch replacement.

I agree, there should be nothing on the threads. especially the white tape. Yellow can tolerate chemicals but should be nowhere near the brake system.
When I replaced mine many years ago, Not a drop came out as there is no way for air to enter from above to relive the vacuum. I'd prime the switch with a drop or two of brake fluid just to make sure you don't have an air bubble inside the switch. The advice above is good as far as the plumbing fixtures. When re-installing too tight is not good.

Back