1956 Air Cleaner Conversion

That was very helpful. I work at a NAPA store and will pick up a filter next week. The tricky part is the top spacer. Once I get the filter, I will try to determine the height and diameter of the spacer and see if I can find something to fit.

I have been wanting to convert my oil bath air filter to a paper element. The options were spend $400+ on a kit or do a complicated modification. I recently viewed a video where the person used a WIX 2297 filter. He took a part from his shop vac to take up the space above the filter. Well I found an easier way. First the WIX filter (readily available) fits onto the stock filter base easily with no mods. The top filer cover may have the oil bath element attached. You will need to lift the lip to separate it from the top. In my case, they were already separated.

The challenge was to fill the gap above the filter. I took a couple of balls of PlayDoe, placed them on the filter and installed the top. This gave me an accurate measurement as to the gap. I happen to have an old 9" inexpensive air cleaner base and it fit on top of the filer perfectly. There still was a gap. I used 1/2" foam insulation tape attached to the base with weather stripping adhesive.

The result was excellent. The air cleaner looks completely stock. Here are some pictures. If you have any questions, let me know. I may do a video in the future.

Photo Jun 06, 2 21 02 PM.jpgPhoto Jun 06, 2 21 41 PM.jpgPhoto Jun 06, 2 21 57 PM.jpgPhoto Jun 06, 2 22 22 PM.jpgPhoto Jun 06, 2 28 18 PM.jpg2022-06-06 14.28.51.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My 56 air cleaner is quite similiar & uses WIX 42297. I did not do the conversion & will have to investigate whether a gap exist at top.
21D5CEF2-CFE1-4026-ADE9-06AFE73D5014.jpeg

Has anyone tried this oil bath to dry conversion kit from Casco:

Screenshot_20221030_094710.jpg

How does it look, could you post a picture?

Thanks!

Has anyone tried this oil bath to dry conversion kit from Casco:

View attachment 24930

How does it look, could you post a picture?

Thanks!
It is a common replacement. CASCO stands behind their products.

I ordered a filter at a local NAPA (Canada) dealer that seems to have all the correct dimensions made of Cellulose and I should receive it this afternoon and it costs $7.49 cdn. As soon as I get it I'll try it and report back. I also found the filters listed in the article to be extremely expensive but their made from different materials, washable and reusable, this one obviously isn't.
Should be a NAPA #22101 Pro Select I got one last week and fits fine

Filter MaterialCotton Gauze
Height2.125 in (54 mm)
Inner WireNo
Inside Diameter9.813 in (249 mm)
Outside Diameter11.875 in (302 mm)

Has anyone had any luck on identifying a replacement Dry Air Filter for a 55 t-Bird? I have a Polished Stainless Steel cover, I ordered two filters one is above referenced size, which according to the article that was attached seemed to fit the correct Size: K&N E-1447. Not sure if this is correct but seems like it should work.

the other Filter that I ordered was a Macs 64-71117 (Wix 64-71117) Air filter Dry replacement which is 7" outside diameter , 5 1/2" Inside and height is 2 1/2" this was supposed to be a direct replacement for a 55-56.

as the story goes of the three bears which is the correct size? trying to be proactive to change out the oil bath before the car actually arrives, and lack of things to do started me on this Journey. anyone know what the correct size should be? attached is image of the Tea Pot that is currently on the vehicle.

Thanks for helping out a amateur.
NAPA #22101 Pro Select I had to unscrew the center stud I used 5 washers for the spacer in order to fit the wing nut. This fits the bottom of the base and seals the cover at the outside rim of the cover. About 6.00

I attached two articles from the EarlyBird magazine that should answer all of your questions.
View attachment 24931

View attachment 24933
doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
I did my 55 as above but the numbers for the element didn't cross from NAPA but the good news we did come up with a Napa filter #22101 Pro Select from Napa. I took the chrome top off the assembly by prying the lip up with a small screw driver and pliers. My lid was quite rusty so I sand blasted and went over it with 220 grit paper and again with 320 paper then I took a hammer on the edge of the work bench and tapped the lip back flat. Next step is a coat of primer then to coat it with Futurechrome. (a friend has the setup). If the Future chrome works out I'm going to do other parts on the engine like the master cylinder, brake booster. oil filter can and such.

I've done more mods than I wanted. The 'boss' suggested I limit driving to around town when she had to rescue me with a battery about an hour away. Isaid I'd sell her before I'd do that. This Winter's changes include, besides the air filter, conversion to electronic ignition and a 3-wire alternator charging system. I also installed an electric windshield washer pump. I'm getting the wire spokes this Spring. I think body/paint will be done the Winter after next in preparation for a run down Route 66 in celebration of my end of full-time work and my 66th year.
Did you do the run down Route 66? My wife and I are planning to do one in Spring of '24 (next year). We have a '66 T-Bird and I will be rebuilding the front-end over Winter.

Did you do the run down Route 66? My wife and I are planning to do one in Spring of '24 (next year). We have a '66 T-Bird and I will be rebuilding the front-end over Winter.
I have a 2004 Merlot Thunderbird that I purchased in 2021. My wife and I took it on Route 66 from Chicago to California and back home to Ohio via the northern route. We were on the road 28 days and 6,300 miles. There something about driving a Thunderbird on Route 66, on a sunny 75 degree day with the top down that can’t be described.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

My hopes are to do the run next summer. She did well this summer, didn't let me down once! The biggest surprise was how well the alternator conversion went. I'm painfully cheap and refused to spend the money for the conversion kit. Instead, I bought brackets on Temu that were designed to attach accessory lights on a motorcycle. I don't remember if it involved drilling. Regardless, it worked flawlessly! Even the dash light functions!

Back