1956 Accelerator Linkage

CtCarGuy

CtCarGuy

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
The accelerator linkage on my '56 broke today. The bell crank shaft that connects the pedal to the carb link appears to have separated from the lever that connects to the carb. The end of the shaft appears to be welded. I may be able to tack weld the lever back onto the shaft. Anyone else had this happen?

Not sure if what happened to mine is what you are describing. Attached picture should explain what was going on with mine. I have heard of others having the same problem.welded bellcrank to plate fixed anno 1957 tbird.jpg

You are dead on. Mine looks exactly like that including the welded end. The arm with the slide pin has broken loose from the shaft. I am pretty sure I can take the assembly off and tack weld the arm to the shaft. Car drove very strongly when this happened. Press on the pedal ant it barely responded.

You are dead on. Mine looks exactly like that including the welded end. The arm with the slide pin has broken loose from the shaft. I am pretty sure I can take the assembly off and tack weld the arm to the shaft. Car drove very strongly when this happened. Press on the pedal ant it barely responded.

When you get it back together operate the carb linkage (engine off) full travel and verify the pin can move up into the slot. Mine goes to about the halfway point. If I understand how it's supposed to work what happens is once the carb has gotten to full throttle you can still push the gas pedal a little more which pops the pin out of the bottom recess and it will move up into the slot. The part of the linkage driving the carb will not move farther but the other part of the linkage that goes to the transmission will still move and that's what makes it downshift when you push the pedal "beyond" all the way to full throttle.

I learned that the arm that attaches to the carb is supposed to be independent (loose) on the shaft. I cleaned the linkage up and reinstalled. I don't know what caused the problem but it seems to work properly. Now I understand how it works.

Back