1956 312 best Oil type

M
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My dad just got a 56 with a 312 and a automatic transmission. What type of oil is recommended? Any help is appreciated. I read he should use rottela t 15-40 becaue it has zinc . Not sure if that is what we need?

Good luck with that can of worms. However I do use exactly what you're asking about. But read all the articles below to determine for yourself.
https://www.Thunderbirdforum.com/facts-and-myths-regarding-engine-oil/

My dad just got a 56 with a 312 and a automatic transmission. What type of oil is recommended? Any help is appreciated. I read he should use rottela t 15-40 becaue it has zinc . Not sure if that is what we need?
I add ZDDP to multi viscosity oil

I revised your subject. Please follow post prompts moving forward.
12604_e634d8db2ff8947fb9e1cd6c7ad78a23.jpg

That is what i have been reading lately. I had been running quaker stated or mobil 1 synthetic.

I don't think you want such heavy weight oil in a gasoline engine. 15w40 is usually used in diesel engines. 10w30 with a ZDDP additive should do you well enough to protect flat tappet lifters.

I use the 15W-40 (Shell is good, but other types basically the same) oil and have had really good luck and performance with it. Should be good for you!!

I use the 15W-40 (Shell is good, but other types basically the same) oil and have had really good luck and performance with it. Should be good for you!!
Question... why would you use such heavy weight oil? What was the original recommended oil for a first gen t-bird?

Question... why would you use such heavy weight oil? What was the original recommended oil for a first gen t-bird?
I live and drive my '55 Tbird in AZ. Gets pretty hot here and she seems to like this weight oil. Use "zero" oil between changes and why not if it works, right?

A noted Yblock engine builder does not recommend using the Rotella or any diesel oil in a YBlock because of the different additives in diesel oil. He uses mostly Valvoline 10-30 or 10-40 conventional in his builds.

A noted Yblock engine builder does not recommend using the Rotella or any diesel oil in a YBlock because of the different additives in diesel oil. He uses mostly Valvoline 10-30 or 10-40 conventional in his builds.
What could go wrong? On an old running engine I'd use the best additives available. A new rebuild, I could see that.

I have used Shell Rotella T 15W-40 ever since I purchased my 1955 Thunderbird in 2014. Since then I have put about 8.000 miles on the car and have never had any problems. I change the oil and filter every year before I put the car into storage for the winter and I do not add ZDDP.

I am not a noted Y block engine rebuilder, but I have rebuilt a few Y blocks and have always used Shell Rotella T 15W-40 in those engines without any problems.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Reference to which or what y block builder?

I don't want to use his name because I haven't asked his permission. But he is in Texas
No worries, I just didn't understand why anyone who understood flat tappet engines wouldn't advise there clients to use a higher ZDDP level than the new regulated engines.

Each to their own. As long as it lubricates, that is the issue. My classic car Mech who deals with mostly Early Mustangs also recommends 'Sea Foam' additive. Apparently it's very slippery stuff.

I would love to see some tests of seafoam in these flat tappet engines. Im sure they exist, but I don't know of any. Please add any who have them

Back