1955 windshield install

Y-8

Y-8

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
After 40 years, I am going to run this all new bird for a 500 mile engine break-in, and then to the paint booth. I have an old windshield that I could install for the first 500 or I could run it legally without a windshield and then paint.

I am considering installing using an unused oem weather-strip but I don’t want to damage it. Will the windshield be secure if I install without any of the stainless trim? And if I do install without trim will it uninstall without cutting? The most comprehensive instructions that I have found (attached) and Resto Manual suggest cutting for ease. I can’t remember taking it out, it’s been 40 years since I removed the glass. I will purchase the least expensive aftermarket weather strip if there is a chance of having to damage the OEM. I am leery of taking the easiest approach of running without a windshield.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

Attachments

• windshieldreplacement.pdf
    74.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I would be leery of using a 50 + year old rubber gasket. Rubber doesn't last forever and it's possible that it may be on it's last legs even if it looks good.. However, if that's your choice, I suggest buying a new gasket .

As far as the trim question, I don't know. I would think it wouldn't be problem running w/o it, but I never came across this situation

I would be leery of using a 50 + year old rubber gasket. Rubber doesn't last forever and it's possible that it may be on it's last legs even if it looks good.. However, if that's your choice, I suggest buying a new gasket .

As far as the trim question, I don't know. I would think it wouldn't be problem running w/o it, but I never came across this situation
As much as I have been reading, the lower Cowel trim needs to be installed with the gasket. the rest can be added later. Or if it's legal to wear motorcycle goggles while just transporting may get some looks but I'd go that way and save tons of labor.

Here is the procedure that we used.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

windshield.jpg

After 40 years, I am going to run this all new bird for a 500 mile engine break-in, and then to the paint booth. I have an old windshield that I could install for the first 500 or I could run it legally without a windshield and then paint.

I am considering installing using an unused oem weather-strip but I don’t want to damage it. Will the windshield be secure if I install without any of the stainless trim? And if I do install without trim will it uninstall without cutting? The most comprehensive instructions that I have found (attached) and Resto Manual suggest cutting for ease. I can’t remember taking it out, it’s been 40 years since I removed the glass. I will purchase the least expensive aftermarket weather strip if there is a chance of having to damage the OEM. I am leery of taking the easiest approach of running without a windshield.

View attachment 25527View attachment 25528View attachment 25529
when I baught my 55 the guy had the hard top on a rolling stand glass down,as i was takung cover off the glass fell out,he had chrome off, rubber stayed in top. FYI

I would use a new rubber seal and consider mounting it with two wires instead of one. Use one wire to mount it, and leave the second in place to use for dismount.

View attachment 25527View attachment 25528View attachment 25529
Let's pretend that the seal is still in good usable condition: What are you saving it for? Secondly; Why are you concerned about OEM, from your pictures your car is obviously far from concours correct..

As I understand it: OEM rubber is superior to the materials used today. The seal is in pristine condition so I am considering saving it for the finish after paint and sacrifice a seal made overseas if needed. I did get a response from an Early Bird restoration expert, he thinks the glass will stay put without the stainless and clips. I think it would certainly install and uninstall easier. I am just kicking around ideas amongst others that love the Thunderbirds.

I am certainly not installing the numbers correct engine this go around, however, everything and more is here to do a concourse correct restoration.

Back