1955- Was dark green/white seat upholstery a factory color?

B

boomercars4u

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a 55 Thunderbird Blue exterior which has a dark green/white seat upholstery. I bought the car from a former 55 T-bird judge (at shows and meets) who owned it for 48 years. He bought it in 1968 from the original owner who bought it from the factory in Dearborn in August 1955. I have never seen another car with the dark green seats?? Is it possible this forum has a former Ford, Dearborn employee who remembers seeing this interior color?

IMG_0013.JPGIMG_0014.JPGIMG_0015.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I have a 55 Thunderbird Blue exterior which has a dark green/white seat upholstery. I bought the car from a former 55 T-bird judge (at shows and meets) who owned it for 48 years. He bought it in 1968 from the original owner who bought it from the factory in Dearborn in August 1955. I have never seen another car with the dark green seats?? Is it possible this forum has a former Ford, Dearborn employee who remembers seeing this interior color?
Hi! It appears that the seats are more of a teal colour ( blue green ) which would make more sense at least to me. My thoughts are that they have seen a lot of sun which has affected the colour. It may be time to replace the seat covers. Check the data plate for the colour codes to confirm the correct colour and any of the Bird Supply Houses have suitable replacements..MAC's is one I have used successfully for years.

Good luck!

Gord

The 86 year old former owner (who is still quite intact) says they were purchased from the original owner in 1968 and that they have always been the dark green color (not teal). Car spent most of its life in a garage. Every other 55 (my color exterior) has a light green/white seat cover

If the color of your car is Thunderbird Blue (Sky Haze Green), the trim color code should be XC. Here are the trim color codes for 55, 56 and 57.

Trim Color Code
1955XABlack & White
XBRed & White
XCTurquoise & White
XDBlack & Yellow
1956XABlack & White
XBRed & White
XCPeacock & White
XDTan & White
XFGreen & White
XGBrown & White
1957XARaven & Colonial
XHFlame Red
XJBronze
XKColonial White
XLDresden Blue & Starmist Blue
XMCumberland Green & Willow Green

From the pictures of the interior of your car it looks like the lower dash was painted to match the upper dash pad color, and the seat cover and arm rests were also replaced to match. I wonder if when your Thunderbird was built, it was ordered with a special order trim color. This information would be found on the factory invoice.

Attached are photos of the interior colors for the 1955 model year. Since my Thunderbird is the same year and color as yours, I also attached a picture of the interior of my Thunderbird.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

1955-Thunderbird-Interior-Colors.jpg

Attachments

• 000_4124.JPG
    000_4124.JPG
    689 KB · Views: 2
The data plate on the fire wall shows trim XC, which is the same as yours. The original owner who purchased the car directly from the factory was a Philadelphia Lawyer. It's possible during the 13 years he owned it he had the dark green interior put in. I believe you gave me my answer!

Attachments

• IMG_0508.jpg
    IMG_0508.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0509.jpg
    IMG_0509.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 1
This was provided to me by the second owner (48 years) showing that indeed Ford had a dark green interior!
IMG_0415.JPGIMG_0416.JPGIMG_0418.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back