1955 Trouble starting

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
D

DiIanni

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My car has a positive ground 6 volt battery. I have tried to charge it seemingly to no avail.
Might there be some sort of in line fuse that is burned. If so, where might it be located?

Disconnect the cables. Try changing the battery. If that doesn't work the battery is probably faulty.

Disconnect the cables. Try changing the battery. If that doesn't work the battery is probably faulty.
Given that the battery is a few years old, I think I'll start with a new battery.

Try another battery, The next day try starting the car if the car won't start then you have a short.

Try another battery, The next day try starting the car if the car won't start then you have a short.
. . .
Might there be some sort of in line fuse that is burned. If so, where might it be located?
There is no original main fuse in the electrical system.

When the car is parked overnight I always disconnect a battery cable. These cars have no fuses on some high current circuits and shorted wiring can cause serious fire damage to the car or your house.

If you carefully look and listen as the battery cable is disconnected you may hear or see a small spark. If so, something is draining the battery. It may be the clock, disconnect it and try again.
If the source of the power drain isn't found you'll continue to have problems.

Attachments

• clock wire & fuse.jpg
    clock wire & fuse.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 5
  • red 57 burn fire c.jpg
    red 57 burn fire c.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
My car has a positive ground 6 volt battery. I have tried to charge it seemingly to no avail.
I think more symptoms are required to help. Do any lights work, Do the Gen & oil lights come on when in the run position? 6V systems are pretty picky when it comes to cables & connections as more amperage is needed Vs 12V.

If you are trying to charge it with a battery charger (recommend charge at the 2 amp setting on the charger), and it does not charge up, either the battery is bad, or the charger is defective. If you are trying to charge it by running the engine, and it does not charge (the voltage at the battery should be around 6.7 volts when running the engine), then either the generator is defective (brushes, commutator, wiring, etc.), or the voltage regulator is bad, or both.

Back