1955 Tonneau cover replacement.

J

Jeff55

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My '55 has snaps where you would expect them for a tonneau cover.

CASCO sells a '55 tonneau cover replacement (#TNC 5RD for the red one)
but then they include this note:

Tonneau covers were available in '56 and '57 only and were
not completely removable. They were attached to the rear deck
similar to the drop curtain.

What is the truth about this?

Jeff

Note: I just checked my car, there are a row of snaps across the back deck just behind the trim piece.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I have two '57s. Both came with the tonneau snaps, and the tonneau's. I don't know when the snaps were installed or when the covers were bought, however, the snaps on both do not line up with the snaps on the cars. I don't know if the covers where not made to fit the snaps, or the snaps were not placed in the correct spots (during restoration). Some snaps were not installed after restoration. I wonder if the seller will take the cover back if it does not fit (the snaps).

I have a ‘55.
It also had the snaps installed all the way around.
I bought a tonneau cover from NPD, National Parts Depot, which came with all the hardware.
I actually then went to a canvas boat shop, and they charged me $100 to professionally install the matrix snaps in the proper place on the cover.
They have the experience and I didn’t want to mess up a one time purchase trying to learn something I probably won’t need the skill set for again.

The tonneau cover was not a factory option in 55, but they could have been dealer-installed. The factory tonneau covers for 56-57 were installed in place of the drop curtain. Sometime during the life of my 55, someone installed a tonneau cover. The drop curtain was left in its original location, so snaps had to be installed on the rear deck for the tonneau cover. When its not installed in place of the drop curtain, snaps usually are installed on the rear deck's stainless trim. The tonneau covers sold by the Tbird suppliers should be just long enough to reach the stainless trim. Unfortunately, the snaps on my rear deck were installed aft of the stainless trim. Either material will have to be added to the suppliers' cover, or a custom cover will have to be made. The suppliers' covers don't come with the snaps preinstalled.

There is one good thing about not installing the tonneau cover in place of the drop curtain: the tonneau cover can be completely removed/installed at your convenience, and you still have a drop curtain.

It's true the '55s did not have tonneau covers. The original ones mounted under the rear trim and were not removable. What you have is an aftermarket application. The replacements come with the snaps un-installed and have to have them installed by an upholstery shop to make sure they fit properly to the application.

The tonneau cover was not a factory option in 55, but they could have been dealer-installed. The factory tonneau covers for 56-57 were installed in place of the drop curtain. Sometime during the life of my 55, someone installed a tonneau cover. The drop curtain was left in its original location, so snaps had to be installed on the rear deck for the tonneau cover. When its not installed in place of the drop curtain, snaps usually are installed on the rear deck's stainless trim. The tonneau covers sold by the Tbird suppliers should be just long enough to reach the stainless trim. Unfortunately, the snaps on my rear deck were installed aft of the stainless trim. Either material will have to be added to the suppliers' cover, or a custom cover will have to be made. The suppliers' covers don't come with the snaps preinstalled.

There is one good thing about not installing the tonneau cover in place of the drop curtain: the tonneau cover can be completely removed/installed at your convenience, and you still have a drop curtain.
I think you would be better off to have one custom made.

Back