1955 tire recommendation

sylvurhfox

sylvurhfox

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I am getting close to putting my 55 back on the road. I am going to put the radial wide white wall tires on the car. I am wondering what size tires work so there is no tire rub on the skirts. Also should I install a rear sway bar? Should I also install air shocks?

The original 55-56 steel rim are 15 x 5. The original tire size was 6.70/15. The most common replacement tire size is 205/75R15. If you install skirts, particularly if you intend to put spoke wheels/w knock-offs on it, I would not consider using a taller/wider tire. My dad had spoke wheels and skirts on his 55. Although he tried 2 different sets of skirts (original and repro), the knock-offs would contact the skirts. He ended up removing the skirts. At some point, an extra leaf was also added to the rear springs, probably because they were worn out. Make sure your springs and bushings are in good shape. I don't like air shocks, but others do, with no complaints. If you install a rear sway bar, you should install a larger-diameter front sway bar as well. I have matched Hotchkis front/rear sway bars on my 55, Bilstein shocks, new leaf springs, re-arched for additional 1 1/2" lift, Aerostar front coil springs, and 1 1/2" drop spindles. Aerostar springs, alone, did not lower front end, even though they are shorter than the original springs. Larry's Thunderbird is the exclusive supplier of the Hotchkis 55-57 T-bird sway bars.

Hi,
I have P205/75R14 radials on my 57 and like everybody else they would occasionally rub the skirts. Exit ramps off the expressway were guaranteed to cause a rub UNTIL I installed new front and rear sway bars. I got the Hotchkis Suspension package designed specifically for the early T-Birds which can be purchased from a number of places. Great kit, easy to install. Only two small holes have to be drilled in the rear frame cross member that no one will ever see. Rubbing the skirts is no longer an issue and the car handles like a modern car. I highly recommend the kit. I found that it tightens up the whole suspension. I only wish I had put them on years ago.

Good luck
Doug

I have Goodyear Custom Super Cushion P205/75R15 on my 56 and never any issues with rubbing but they do come very close to the skirts. They look great BTW. No sway bars but after reading Douglemmo's reply I may give them a try. I do however have air shocks and love them. I installed Gabriel 49105 hijackers. Not that expensive, they work very well and easy install.

REDTOY, you will not be sorry. They did so well on the T-Bird that I put a larger sway bar (Hotchkis) on the front of my 66 Mustang (rear bar is not recommended on the Mustang). It made a positive difference on the Mustang.

Back