1955 Thunderbird trunk spring replacement?

SJ Barr
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hey guys, wondering if anyone has experience replacing the trunk springs on a 55-57? My trunk wasn’t staying up all the way so I bought some replacement springs and had my mechanic install them. The trunk is still sagging pretty low. My mechanic said it wasn’t too difficult but from what little I have found online it’s a PIA process. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Shawn Barr
SLC, UT

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Shawn,

I have never replaced the trunk springs, but the attached addendum from the Thunderbird Restoration Manual deals with worn trunk hinges. In photo #4 it mentions how to remove the trunk springs and in photo #8 it mentions how to install the trunk springs.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Attachments

• Trunk Section (Pages 320 - 321).pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
I removed my truck lid, removed the brackets, put the brackets in a vise. Wasn’t to hard to replace the spring because you can move the brackets farther when their not mounted. Just be sure to mark the location of the lid to the brackets and the brackets to the car so you get them back in the same position. Also the trunk lid is pretty heavy.

Shawn,

I have never replaced the trunk springs, but the attached addendum from the Thunderbird Restoration Manual deals with worn trunk hinges. In photo #4 it mentions how to remove the trunk springs and in photo #8 it mentions how to install the trunk springs.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
Awesome thanks Doug!

I removed my truck lid, removed the brackets, put the brackets in a vise. Wasn’t to hard to replace the spring because you can move the brackets farther when their not mounted. Just be sure to mark the location of the lid to the brackets and the brackets to the car so you get them back in the same position. Also the trunk lid is pretty heavy.
Thank you!!!

Back