1955 thunderbird oil/transmission fluids

C
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Sorry basic questions, but manuals don't cover basics.
Adding oil: does it go in the breather cap (chrome cap) tube?
Adding transmission fluid: is there another place to add it other than dipstick tube?
thank you.

Those are the two places where I put in the oil. Not any other locations for engine oil or transmission oil that I know of. If it's a standard shift transmission there is a plug (on the side of the trans.) you take out and put in the oil until it reaches the level of the plug. (Same as doing the rear differential)

where do i add Automatic transmission fluid
You use a long narrow funnel and pour it directly down the dipstick tube. (with the dipstick out) Any auto parts store will have the funnel designed for this purpose.

Follow the directions for checking transmission oil level. The engine must be running, be warmed up and put in revrse and drive and then into park or neutral. Always in park or neutral when checking level.

Follow the directions for checking transmission oil level. The engine must be running, be warmed up and put in revrse and drive and then into park or neutral. Always in park or neutral when checking level.
What is the type of trans fluid some say type F some say dextron 3

What is the type of trans fluid some say type F some say dextron 3
Dexron-Mercron is the closest to the original type. Others have used Type F with no problems. It's really hard to say what the best trans fluid is because we don't know what has been done to the trans over the years.

Dexron-Mercron is the closest to the original type. Others have used Type F with no problems. It's really hard to say what the best trans fluid is because we don't know what has been done to the trans over the years.
I have used type 'F' the 45+ yrs I've had my car. If I rebuild I might consider Dextron. But I hear that mixing fluids can have unintentional consequences. Engine oil included.

Back