1957 Door adjustment | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1957 Door adjustment

• Thread starter Thread starter bbbacres1
  • Start date Start date
B
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
there is a door to body gap in my beautiful '57. See pic. We have adjusted the bracket you see when you open the door to the max. No luck. Looking from different angles the door seems to be set in as far as it can go when shut. The door does not appear to sag any when open. Any tips on how to close this gap? The gap I want to cure will just about allow my little finger or a pencil.
20240805_160055.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I suggest take the car to a body shop, They know all the tricks on how to fix the issue.

Your issue is probably in the latch mechanism or striker…or both. I would start with inspecting all the door latch hardware. Look for anything loose or obvious signs of wear. The latch assemblies and strikers are prone to wear especially the star wheels. Wear on both of these or a loose striker could account for the gap you have. Replace the worn parts and adjust to the best fit. Also, If the door does not sag when opened, chances are the hinges and the pillar are both good.

there is a door to body gap in my beautiful '57. See pic. We have adjusted the bracket you see when you open the door to the max. No luck. Looking from different angles the door seems to be set in as far as it can go when shut. The door does not appear to sag any when open. Any tips on how to close this gap? The gap I want to cure will just about allow my little finger or a pencil.
View attachment 31756
The adjustment is done with the front hinges, to get the bottom and top of door aligned and front gap correct when thIs is done the door should close completely. Remove the striker and star wheel assembly before adjusting the door, slowly close the the door and stop when it matches the rocker panel and rear quarter at this point everything should match with a equal gap in front and rear of door, if it’s good reinstall the striker and latch lightly snug only Close the door gently till closed, open and tighten everything. One aside if right now everything matches I would check and see if the rear quarter was replaced and is misaligned

Back