1955 T-Bird fuel pump installation

zeroroadkill

zeroroadkill

BlackBird Fly
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Ok gang any hints on how to get this POS fuel pump back in?
What a PITA! Already ruined 3 gaskets! I must have been lucky last time but not this time. Tried to rotate the cam lobe to different positions to no avail. Even tried using a metal blade to guide the lever under the lobe!
HELP!

The cam lobe stays stationary and just spins. I don’t see it moving up or down!

The cam lobe stays stationary and just spins. I don’t see it moving up or down!
It's pretty subtle, it works like a cam shaft, And I can insure that it's turning or you have a busted timing chain. But someone else on here said to find top dead center and it will be farthest up. I had no problems installing it at that point. A remote starter button switch is cheap, Easy to use and comes in really handy for something like this or setting the points.

It's pretty subtle, it works like a cam shaft, And I can insure that it's turning or you have a busted timing chain. But someone else on here said to find top dead center and it will be farthest up. I had no problems installing it at that point. A remote starter button switch is cheap, Easy to use and comes in really handy for something like this or setting the points.

will try again.
54E8FD06-01DB-4C5A-B8A9-FD29FC204707.jpegD8450D70-5BB9-44D6-8CE6-12EE520511DE.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Boy do I feel dumb
Not the crank bearing stupid! TDC it was sooo ez I’d had it out before and couldn’t figure out why it was so hard this time!!!
Back to shop class!!!

The first picture looks good. You can see the wear marks on the cam lobe. It's just physics you are dealing with. Walk away for a day, Buy that starter switch and you can bump the starter while watching everything that moves.

Boy do I feel dumb
Not the crank bearing stupid! TDC it was sooo ez I’d had it out before and couldn’t figure out why it was so hard this time!!!
Back to shop class!!!
LOL . Been there done that. I don't know how many times I've gone back to something and said to myself "I know I've done this before why can't I figure it out?"

Ok gang any hints on how to get this POS fuel pump back in?
What a PITA! Already ruined 3 gaskets! I must have been lucky last time but not this time. Tried to rotate the cam lobe to different positions to no avail. Even tried using a metal blade to guide the lever under the lobe!
HELP!
As I said on the thread (1956 Fuel Pump Stopped Working) Since my car has power steering, when I replaced the fuel pump I removed the power steering pump and moved it aside. When I did this I did not disconnect any of the power steering hoses from the power steering pump. By moving the power steering pump it gave me plenty of room to replace the fuel pump.

(See attached)

Before you remove the fuel pump make sure the engine is set to the top dead center mark on the crank pulley. By doing this the eccentric cam that operates the fuel pump will be on the low side of the cam and the fuel pump will not have much pressure against the operating lever.

(See attached)

When you install the fuel pump, make sure the fuel pump operating lever is under the eccentric cam.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
Eccentric Cam.jpgFuel Pump Removed.JPG13351_b5eac4902c9f602d4978a5cbe491055d_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My fairly new fuel pump quit working and it is the eccentric cam that has come loose. This is a big job to remove radiator, crank pulley, oil pan and front engine cover to tighten bolt on end of camshaft.

My fairly new fuel pump quit working and it is the eccentric cam that has come loose. This is a big job to remove radiator, crank pulley, oil pan and front engine cover to tighten bolt on end of camshaft.
How do you know that the eccentric cam has come loose? The eccentric cam is keyed to the camshaft and the bolt and washer that holds the entire camshaft gear and related components to the cam has a torque of 35 to 45 foot pounds.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Attachments

• The bolt that holds the entire camshaft gear and related components.pdf
    253.4 KB · Views: 17
  • The eccentric that activates the fuel pump arm is keyed to the camshaft.pdf
    250.6 KB · Views: 16
  • The parts that attach the timing gear to the camshaft.pdf
    234 KB · Views: 15
How do you know that the eccentric cam has come loose? The eccentric cam is keyed to the camshaft and the bolt and washer that holds the entire camshaft gear and related components to the cam has a torque of 35 to 45 foot pounds.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
I have since determined that it is not the eccentric. I had a 1970 mark III that had that problem. I have determined that my fairly new fuel tank is clogged. Now to to fix the real problem. Thank you

One thing that I think needs clarification and that is about turning the engine to the TDC marks. One needs to know if your talking about TDC firing for number one cylinder. Because if you just turn the engine to the timing marks for TDC you could have the cam out by 180 degrees which would mean the eccentric would be at the worst possible case for easy installation.

One thing that I think needs clarification and that is about turning the engine to the TDC marks. One needs to know if your talking about TDC firing for number one cylinder. Because if you just turn the engine to the timing marks for TDC you could have the cam out by 180 degrees which would mean the eccentric would be at the worst possible case for easy installation.
Really? I don't think you have experienced this fact other than lack of observation. One revolution per revolution of the crank shaft. Same with adjusting the valves or timing of the points.

Really? I don't think you have experienced this fact other than lack of observation. One revolution per revolution of the crank shaft. Same with adjusting the valves or timing of the points.
I'm afraid I have to re-think my answer. I forgot that these a 4 cycle engines. I do not know if the cam rotates one revolution per revolution. I may have gotten lucky on that flip of the coin or cam as in this case.

Ward 57, Well you obviously had a 50/50 chance. Yes, in a 4 cycle engine in all but a special few cases the cam will run at 1/2 speed. Therefore one needs to know in the cycle where you are to make sure the fuel pump lobe is at it's lowest position. Or just take your chances. LOL

Back