1955 T- Bird air cleaner problem

I am in the process of restoring a 1955 Bird and recently had the carburetor rebuilt. It originally had a spacer and two thick gaskets at the manifold but they were shot. I ordered a replacement spacer but due to it’s thickness and using two very thin gaskets, the garburetor sits too low on the manifold to allow the air cleaner to seat properly on it. Do any of you have any suggestions? Thanks

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I am in the process of restoring a 1955 Bird and recently had the carburetor rebuilt. It originally had a spacer and two thick gaskets at the manifold but they were shot. I ordered a replacement spacer but due to it’s thickness and using two very thin gaskets, the garburetor sits too low on the manifold to allow the air cleaner to seat properly on it. Do any of you have any suggestions? Thanks
Armand,
I believe originally the 55 Birds had 5 thin gaskets but now you can get just one thick one that should make the space correct.

The carburetor base gaskets on a 1955 Thunderbird are made up of 5 thick gaskets. The part number is 9447A and they cost $1.98 each. The spacer and 2 gaskets that you had before are for a 1957 Thunderbird.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

What motor is in the car . summit racing might have a thicker spacer they have spacers up to 1 inch thick or you can have a machine shop make you one

Back