1955 Switched from Bias Ply to Radials, simply amazing!

photoguy

photoguy

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I IMG_2041.jpegI was expecting a difference, but wow! The ride is so much more controlled, the wandering is 95% gone, smooth and planted. Miss the wide ww look, but the Hankook Kinergy ST’s were worth it. The thin white wall definitely could use better manufacturing, you get what you pay for. Just need to paint the wheels.

Please excuse the neighbors lawn, they mow every 2 weeks or so.

Really appreciate this forum!

Thank you!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I View attachment 27896I was expecting a difference, but wow! The ride is so much more controlled, the wandering is 95% gone, smooth and planted. Miss the wide ww look, but the Hankook Kinergy ST’s were worth it. The thin white wall definitely could use better manufacturing, you get what you pay for. Just need to paint the wheels.

Thank you!
I will bet there is more white under that black on the tire and there are ways to grind off the black to show more white!

Car looks pretty. I have Coker’s on mine and I like the wide white look. As for the neighbor, a little hedge trimming is in order too…?

Car looks pretty. I have Coker’s on mine and I like the wide white look. As for the neighbor, a little hedge trimming is in order too…?
I wanted the Cokers, not in the budget. I’m doing a bit of work all together, I’ll get back to the wides again.

Thanks

Do what I did. I bought Portawall wide white overlays. Standard radials look like expensive wide whites.

Do what I did. I bought Portawall wide white overlays. Standard radials look like expensive wide whites.
I was researching these, found mixed reviews. So what’s your process for a successful install?

I was researching these, found mixed reviews. So what’s your process for a successful install?
Any good tire shop should be able to install them. They just have to deflate the tire and slip the whitewall under the rim. I do have to have my fronts redone as the radials flex more and I have a little wrinkle in each. The rears lay perfectly flat and you would never know the difference.

Hi @Ward57 . The side wall inserts I have a set on a 42 Chev PU I have. They are atlas brand... must be 25+ years old... came with the truck. Tery are 'ok' for that use.. a patina'ed old truck. But they might be nicer and more flexible if new.

Do you have any close up pics you can share with us members of what they look like on your bird ? Fronts and backs ? I have 2 vehicles that have bias ply whites I'd like to go radial with... but at nearly $300 per tire, then installation... it is a tough pill to swallow on something driven a couple hundred miles each year.

Thanks !

Last edited by a moderator:
I View attachment 27896I was expecting a difference, but wow! The ride is so much more controlled, the wandering is 95% gone, smooth and planted. Miss the wide ww look, but the Hankook Kinergy ST’s were worth it. The thin white wall definitely could use better manufacturing, you get what you pay for. Just need to paint the wheels.

Thank you!
Even with the thin white walls, it’s looks really nice. I’m having my 23 yr old Lester’s replaced today with 2 3/4” WW’s on American Classics. The were really pricey, but I figure I should get my monies worth and they’ll be safe. They are the bias size 6.70 in a radial as I’m wanting to keep from having an issue with the wheel skirts. I’ll post a review with pictures in the next couple of days.

Thanks Shawnski. look forward to that American Classics.

Also, perhaps @Ward can share some pics on his www inserts at some point.

Hate to also bring up the dreaded 'American Classics, vs Cooker, vs Diamond Backs'' which is better discussion !!! Ohhhhhh

For what it is worth to all, I see on ebay that Cooker is having a 'save $150 on set of 4 www tires' sale until Dec 31

Last edited by a moderator:
Back