1955 steering column grommet and seal installation

HRUVDT564
Last seen
Hello all, I am reinstalling my 55 birds steering column.
I am getting the firewall grommet. Can anyone give me tips on how to install it. The old one was missing and have no reference.

Thanks

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Perhaps the Trim and sealer manual will have that information. Likewise there may be an illustration in the shop manual and or in a Thunderbird parts dealer illustrated catalogue. Additionally any local club member would likely show you the part in situ in their car.
good luck J.

My recolection is that it is sandwiched between the firewall and the split metal plate that surrounds the steering column. There are ~8 screws that hold this assembly in place and as I recall the few at the top may be a smaller size.

That sounds about right. I just ordered a new one as my original Broke and fell out while fiddling under there. I think it fits in just under the insulation. I'll have to cut a slit to get it in as I'm not going to pull the column to fit it over.

That sounds about right. I just ordered a new one as my original Broke and fell out while fiddling under there. I think it fits in just under the insulation. I'll have to cut a slit to get it in as I'm not going to pull the column to fit it over.
Ward,
Do you think you have to pull the whole column? I have the steering shaft out now and was hoping the grommet would slide over the column. Didn't realize mine was missing until this thread. Thanks for the question.

Ward,
Do you think you have to pull the whole column? I have the steering shaft out now and was hoping the grommet would slide over the column. Didn't realize mine was missing until this thread. Thanks for the question.
The only problem I see is that the Gasket is mounted on the inside of the firewall. I didn't even know it was there until the old rubber was so brittle it just fell on the cockpit floor. It did it's job keeping the heat from the engine from intruding into the cockpit. Slicing it at the bottom I think I can fit it. Same problem with all the other firewall gaskets. Old & brittle rubber as I think they were all installed before the wiring harnesses were run through. Splitting and fitting I think is the way to go.

I got this one from Larrys t bird.
Thanks for the comments ill check on one that goes on the engine bay side.
The metal plate that the column slides through is in pretty bad shape but I am trying to salvage it
T-3512A.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back