1955 speaker installation help

• Thread starter Skip from the Vineyard
  • Start date
Skip from the Vineyard

Skip from the Vineyard

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I need to ins a new speaker in my 1955 Thunderbird. Do I do it from above or below the the dash? If above how does the grill come off?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Subject 1955 speaker changed to 1955 speaker installation help. Good titles get more responses. Thanks for posting.

model-year-TBF.jpg

If you’ve ever thought about taking the seat out, for any reason, now would be the time to think more seriously about it :)
This speaker project will be a hell of a lot easier with the seat sitting on the floor next to the car.
good luck.

I need to ins a new speaker in my 1955 Thunderbird. Do I do it from above or below the the dash? If above how does the grill come off?
Skip,

The speaker is held in place with for wing nuts and it is removed from under the dash. When I replaced my speaker I removed the radio first so I had lots of room to work. I don't think you can remove the speaker without removing the radio.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Doug is correct. I’m lucky to be thin! Im also restoring my 55 thunderbird and have the entire dashboard out and am having the original radio modernized along with having a new modern type of speaker. The radio stays the completely the same to look at as I love the way it looks with the push buttons etc.
Goggle Gary Tayman in Sarasota,Florida. He’s the man

I ordered the hands free blue tooth one also that looks like the 1955 one. Won’t come till May. Anyone have any exp with it?

Doug is correct. I’m lucky to be thin! Im also restoring my 55 thunderbird and have the entire dashboard out and am having the original radio modernized along with having a new modern type of speaker. The radio stays the completely the same to look at as I love the way it looks with the push buttons etc.
Goggle Gary Tayman in Sarasota,Florida. He’s the man. http://garytayman.com

I ordered the hands free blue tooth one also that looks like the 1955 one. Won’t come till May. Anyone have any exp with it?
Skip,
I haven’t gotten mine yet but I was referred to Gary Tasman by a Thunderbird friend of mine that has. He is an extremely knowledgeable Baby Bird guy. I have talked at length with Gary and am very impressed.
Are you a member of the CTONE club in Massachusetts?

OK I was fussing under the dash and pulled the speaker wire loose. well apparently I have two magnets. I installed this speaker so long ago I couldn't remember how to wire it. Do both wires go to the primary terminal and I only have one wire going to the other speaker magnet. Do I need to run another wire to the other magnet as I only have one. I could have been running only one all this time.

OK I was fussing under the dash and pulled the speaker wire loose. well apparently I have two magnets. I installed this speaker so long ago I couldn't remember how to wire it. Do both wires go to the primary terminal and I only have one wire going to the other speaker magnet. Do I need to run another wire to the other magnet as I only have one. I could have been running only one all this time.
Nevermind. I figured it out. It's only a single coil speaker so both wires to the main terminal there are other terminals on the other side of the speaker but don't know if I should wire them in. Working fine again. I started this as my courtesy light was shorting for some reason so I had to pull the radio to get to the wires. But it too is working again.

Back