1955 spare tire and jack mounting.

Attached is a picture of the spare tire and jack mounting location from the Restoration and Specifications Manual.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
jack-stowage.jpgjack-storage.jpg

Thanks for the response and info. I apparently don't have the correct jack for a 55 Bird. Any one know where I can find one? Thanks.
Also the rod that goes in the middle of my spare tire seems to be different. I have some type of stop around the screw rod about 3 inches from the end and the round hold down plate will not go all the way to the wheel. And the rod seems to be really long. Any suggestions? Thanks.

The lock dowel is not being held by the clamp. I have tried adjusting the dowel but the clamp still does not completely hold the dowel and the tire spare tire falls out of place. Any suggestion on how to fix this?

While the lever has a spring that brings it back up, are you sure the lever is coming all the back up?. Also check the "catch" the lever moves to make sure it is working properly.

The lock dowel is not being held by the clamp. I have tried adjusting the dowel but the clamp still does not completely hold the dowel and the tire spare tire falls out of place. Any suggestion on how to fix this?
What size spare do you have. A modern tire is likely to be too "fat". The too large size spare can be an issue. Either carry a full size spare in the trunk or a small size temporary use spare. If you use the spare in the "conny" it is easy to mar the paint and finish around the kit.

In my 56 I use an older bias ply tire (not inflated) just to keep the continental kit together. I usually do not carry a spare but I do have a a mini spare that I can use on a longer trip. I would hate to have to count on the spare in the continental kit - what a pain to take apart and put back together.

There are posts showing the jack mountings in the trunk but non if where the lug iron goes. I’ve got mine stuffed under the spare tire.

Thanks

There are posts showing the jack mountings in the trunk but non if where the lug iron goes. I’ve got mine stuffed under the spare tire.

Thanks
Is there a proper tire iron storage position (1955-56)? Thanks

In my 56 I use an older bias ply tire (not inflated) just to keep the continental kit together. I usually do not carry a spare but I do have a a mini spare that I can use on a longer trip. I would hate to have to count on the spare in the continental kit - what a pain to take apart and put back together.
I have a question for you. I know it is very hard to change a tire on a 56, due to location, weather, skirts, and my age, but mostly getting that tire out of the Centennial kit. I want to get my real spare in the trunk, and put 'something" in the kit. I'm guessing your tire in the kit is still on a rim, and you said not inflated, but how good is that solution. Any problems? I would keep a spare in the trunk, just in case. Thanks

I have a question for you. I know it is very hard to change a tire on a 56, due to location, weather, skirts, and my age, but mostly getting that tire out of the Centennial kit. I want to get my real spare in the trunk, and put 'something" in the kit. I'm guessing your tire in the kit is still on a rim, and you said not inflated, but how good is that solution. Any problems? I would keep a spare in the trunk, just in case. Thanks
Yes, the tire I have in the continental kit is on a rim. It has to be. I haven't had any problem with this set-up. Two trips to the west coast from the east coast and other fairly long trips with it this way plus a lot of local driving..

Yes, the tire I have in the continental kit is on a rim. It has to be. I haven't had any problem with this set-up. Two trips to the west coast from the east coast and other fairly long trips with it this way plus a lot of local driving..
I guess the proper size makes a big difference. Too many people don't understand the hight/width of tire sizing.

I am guessing that there is a procedure to attach the spare tire within the continental kit. Could someone run me through it?
Thank You

I am guessing that there is a procedure to attach the spare tire within the continental kit. Could someone run me through it?
Thank You
This can be more trouble than it is worth. I keep an old bias ply in the kit and call a road service if I need a flat repar.

Thank You
Your situation requires having a spare tire mounted that will fit inside the continental kit. fifties bias ply tires generally have stiffer sidewalls than modern radial tires. that said the use of a spare inside the continental kit is more of a cosmetic appendage today. Carry a spare in the trunk. Either a full size tire mounte or one of the small limited use and limited speed spares mount to an appropriate wheel. the space saver spare allow more storage room. Many years ago John Howard had an article in the Early Bird about the mount and use of the 1956 spare tire apparatus. that would have been early 90s or 80s.

Does anyone have a picture of the jack and spare tire placement in the trunk. I feel like i"m missing one piece

Here's mine

Attachments

• 1956 Jack.jpg
    1956 Jack.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 4
Does anyone know where the lug wrench iron is supposed to be mounted? I can’t find any pictures of the correct location.

I zip tied the lug wrench to the spine of the jack.....

You are 100% on the mark. I must have spent 2 hours trying to put the continental spare tire back. That said though, the entire job is still not yet completed.

Back